Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 16x20 brazilian build

Re: 16x20 brazilian build

Guilherme,
    I've been reading about your 16x20 camera build and film holders.

Could you please answer some questions for me about your holders as you describe in this post?
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=1#post1122897

Gatorfoam strips to make the final frame above the darkslide

Crescent board darkslide and strips to make a frame around it--Q: are these strips made of the same Gatorfoam as the components above and below the darkslide or are they made of the same Crescent board as the darkslide or of some other material?

Gatorfoam strips to separate film stage from darkslide--Q: in your finished holders, it appears you cut notches near the end to load film instead of using a taped flap--is this correct?

some strips of a 700gsm black card to make a frame for the film--Q: I presume this 700gsm card is slightly thicker than the film and is cut slightly wider and longer than the film so that the film stays relatively flat, with the Gatorfoam level above acting as a film guide would in a manufactured holder--is this correct?

main piece of Gatorfoam the divides the film holder in half

Also, can you tell me anything more about how you made your baffles, as shown in this post?
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=1#post1438839

Any other tips you can pass on that you learned from making these holders that you would do differently next time?

Many thanks for sharing!
    Best,
    Michael

Guilherme Maranhão coisasdavida's Avatar

Hello Michael,
    Hope you can use this information.

Q1: yes. I only purchased one kind of gatorfoam, I got the only they had that was all black. Same for the crescent sheet.

Q2: yes. I notched the top level of gatorfoam to allow for film to enter. The crescent sheet darkslide was wider than this notch to make for a lightseal. And very important, I took a lot of care of the distance for the long side of the film, it was a snug fit (since I didn't have a flap).

Q3: not so much, the card was the same thickness as 8x20" FP4 Plus, maybe a little thicker than the lith film I used for 12x16". The film stays put. I have had 8x10" sheets fallin from the holder inside my camera, but had no problem with these holders. The rebate covers around 1cm of film, so it is a generous rebate.

Q4: Baffles: I used an iron (for clothing) to fold in half these pieces of thick felt. Even after ironing, they insist on staying unfolded. I used white glue to glue the bottom half to the holder.

Back in 2014 I made a proof of concept for this holder, before getting the camera going: https://refotografia.wordpress.com/2...2-chassi-8x20/
    There is a nice picture here with "all 5 levels" of this holder: gator, card(film), gator, crescent board(darkslide), gator

The crescent board level is a tight fit, which is good, the darkslide won't come out on its own. For other cameras I have done other proof of concept holders, even of cardboard just to make sure I had my measurements correct. When I used cheaper stuff for this darkslide it would release tiny rolls of paper, tiny pieces, make a mess and eventually stay stuck inside. My tip is to use whatever you think will be the final material in the proof of concept, open and close it many times to see if the friction came damage the material.

I'll try to remember more.

gambaphoto

fantastic work on the camera

Quote Originally Posted by gambaphoto View Post
    fantastic work on the camera
    thank you!

Great work and don't worry about the Portuguese language blog Google translate it well enough.

I read all your posts.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Great work and don't worry about the Portuguese language blog Google translate it well enough.
    I read all your posts.
    Cool! Thanks!
    I've been using Google Translate in ways I never imagined. When I found a free Espon 4900 a while back I eventually turned to a russian forum to get some help running it with my own carbon inkset. I'd type my message on Google, copy the russian version, post it and use Google Chrome to read the replies. Amazing!