Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 16x20 brazilian build

Guilherme Maranhão coisasdavida's Avatar

Re: 16x20 brazilian build

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Wow, nice work, Guilherme!
    I hope the rest of the build goes smoothly, and you are rewarded with a sweet 16x20 camera.
    That would be my preferred size as well, if I were ever to make the jump to ULF.
    Do you have a lens, or lenses, already?
    Ari, thanks!
    I have a few lenses that I could use depending on the format I'll be shooting: a 19 3/4" f/10 Ektanon, a 360mm f/5.6 Symmar, a 183mm f/18 Protar. I intend to have a 8x20" back as well as a 12x16"/14x17" back, besides the 16x20" one. I have some 8x20" FP4, lith film in both 16x20" and 12x16" and x-ray in 12x16". If I ever get done with this load of film I can go to x-ray in 14x17". Until I get to actual shooting I won't be able to tell if I have what I need.
    And then there is the money issue. So far I have not spent much in the camera. The wood was part recycled from a Maple crib I built for my first son in 2002 and part bought recently as cut to size plywood that was cheap. Aluminum flat and L bars were cheap too. I had to get a router and that was kind of unexpected. I spent some money in drill bits and glue. Hardware except for 2 screws I was able to find in my shop seaching the jars and drawers. Paper and outside of bellows were recycled, liner I had to buy. I still have to buy black paint for the backs and gatorfoam for the holders, I'll focus on this and make it work with whatever I have for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Awesome job!
    Thanks, Jim!

Here is how it looks this morning. I finished routing the aluminum with my drill press and it worked fine.
    Some black paint inside the rear frame and I guess I can glue the bellows.
    Still haven't figured out a simple latch idea.

Lachlan 717

Can you give more info on how you used the drill press for milling/routing? Thanks!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    Can you give more info on how you used the drill press for milling/routing? Thanks!
    I bought a mini mill for my last camera build. It makes all the difference in the world and was a great investment.

You can rout with it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    Lachlan,

I used a milling bit on the drill press. Made a small jig to guide the bar in a straight line under the bit. Lowered the bit and locked in place. Put my body against the piece pushing it forward. Used lots of milling oil solution and patience, it takes time.

I made a small post on my blog with a video. Maybe it can help: http://refotografia.wordpress.com/20...2%80%a2-fresa/

This guy here was my inspiration, he used his drill press the same way: https://www.flickr.com/groups/nzlf/d...7625571891566/

You are welcome!
    Last edited by coisasdavida; 5-Dec-2014 at 13:37. Reason: Added a Flickr link

Here is my second version of drill press to milling machine jig:

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by coisasdavida View Post
    Lachlan,

I used a milling bit on the drill press. Made a small jig to guide the bar in a straight line under the bit. Lowered the bit and locked in place. Put my body against the piece pushing it forward. Used lots of milling oil solution and patience, it takes time.

I made a small post on my blog with a video. Maybe it can help: http://refotografia.wordpress.com/20...2%80%a2-fresa/

This guy here was my inspiration, he used his drill press the same way: https://www.flickr.com/groups/nzlf/d...7625571891566/

You are welcome!
    Thanks for the information.

Did you have any problems with the chatter causing the chuck to drop out, or did the jig help to hold it in place?

Awesome job! hope to see the completed camera soon.