Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 617 Panoramic camera concept. Gethering opinions.

Re: 617 Panoramic camera concept. Gethering opinions.

Lachlan, I didn't say 47-65 cover 6x17 (166mm at f22). I said it's not a problem. Shoot 6x14 or 6x12. If shooting 6x17 (when you didn't insert the masks) with lenses, you'll get some crop. Nothing wrong with using this lenses.
    But still the questions remains.
    1. Which Shen Hao do you use?
    2. Does it accept 47mm in any way: common or recessed lens board? Of course you may not know this, I'll ask Shen-Hao.

Quote Originally Posted by richardman View Post
    47mm is really really wide, may be about 5mm-8mm in 35mm film term, depending on how you count. I think 90mm is probably plenty wide enough.
    Ha-ha, not even close! 47 is for 4x5. as you know. On 4x5 it's about 13mm equavelent. But on the 6x12 you have much "longer" equivalent, I guess about 18mm. That's wide, but that's what you need in interiors, old city courtyards...
    for 6x12 lenses up to 38mm are used. But I don't want 38mm, that's crazy wide.

The diagonal of 56x112mm is 125mm... if you use the traditional method to calculate normal focal length. Using the same method for 135 format indicates normal is 43.3mm. To calculate 135 format equivalent of 47mm lens on 6x12cm you divide 47 by 125 and multiply by 43.3 which indicates 16mm.

Keep in mind the narrower the format the wider a lens will "look" if using the traditional method of calculating normal focal length. This is why I prefer to simply multiply the long side of the film by 1.25. Using this method yields a normal focal length of 140mm for 6x12cm (56x112mm) which I think is more accurate. Using this method to calculate normal for both 135 and 56x112mm formats indicates 47mm on 6x12cm is about the same as 15mm on 135 film.

Considering a center filter: The US military had an interesting kind of center filter for aerial lenses which used a multiple point 'star' of translucent Mylar (or something) in a clear filter. Some were quite large. Somewhere I have one and would post an image if my scanner were working, but I think you can imagine what it is like. There are very economical 4" diameter high quality center filters intended for the Metrogon aerial recon lens. I've no idea how either would perform on modern wide lenses.
    --
    Jac - worked once on anRAF air recon base. The toys we had!

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by SuperK View Post
    1. Which Shen Hao do you use?
    The very first one made.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperK View Post
    2. Does it accept 47mm in any way: common or recessed lens board? Of course you may not know this, I'll ask Shen-Hao.
    Don't know, as it doesn't cover 617. 72mm is super wide, and enough for me.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Not sure who the camera would appeal to since it's pretty close to a rigid camera with cone and a dedicated 617 view camera. I don't think it has sufficient advantages in design over one or the other. It certainly won't be cheaper than the 6x17 back on a 4x5 for the dabbler segment. It won't have the P&S shoot simplicity and ruggedness of a Fotoman 617. Here are my 2 cents on the 6x17 options. I would add the strange but wonderful Noblex 617 is another option to consider.

http://www.angusparkerphoto.com/blog...en-hao-ptb-617

Angus expressed it well, in particular I agree, "It won't have the P&S shoot simplicity and ruggedness of a Fotoman 617" That is not to say that your effort has no merit because in process comes discovery, and discovery is good, for better and worse.

I know a very well published and granted photographer who has been using P&S 6x17 (Linhof) for most of his fifty year career. He shoots at only a few different distances. He almost never misses.

Best in your endeavor.

Koudelka right?!

Quote Originally Posted by richardman View Post
    Koudelka right?!
    Stuart Klipper, a very different kind of work.
    ... and I like Koudelka's work very much.

I use a 75mm f8 Super Angulon on my 617 Gaoersi, I think of it as a natural standard lens for the format, it matches my TLR closely in terms of foreground, background perspective or my 5x4 camera with a 150mm lens.

My intention was to build a camera taking a 5x4 or 617 back using Graflex Speed/Crown parts, focus track & guides with a Super Graphic front standard to give me better movements, I've already adapted it to fit. I'd need to build a larger casing than a Graphic then the backs & bellows. However a recent purchase of two 7x5 Seneca View cameras gives me an easier option.

One Seneca the Improved View is complete, the other a City View has no back and ideally needs new bellows in addition it's missing the panel in the front standard that holds the lens board and attaches to the bellows frame, it's also missing the geared spindle and knobs for rise/fall. While I'd prefer to do a full restoration at some stage if I can find the parts in the short term I'm going to make a new panel that takes a Linhof/Wista lens board and a reducing back for 5x4 and a new back for 617. This will give me a camera that can be used for 7x5, 5x4 and 617.

The advantage of the City View body over the Improved View is the front trackbed is split to allow shift and can be taken apart - ideal when using wider angle lenses. It won't be point and shoot like the Gaoersi (or Fotoman mentioned earlier) but it will give me some movements. Most importantly I won't have to carry 2 cameras one for 5x4 and the other for 617.

Ian