Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Site Running Slowly?

Re: Site Running Slowly?

The slowness issues lately have all been due to denial of service attacks against the web server from unknown sources. I'll have some time late next week to work on some server updates to help lower the impact of those when they occur. Until then we'll have to keep fixing those as we have been doing. Eventually, whichever childish twerp is behind them will get bored and move on to someone else.

Is there any connection between the denial of service attacks and the occasional new forum "member" who joins with a "hello" (basically one word, and no information about their photo interests, etc.) and seems to have no purpose being here? I've always wondered why anyone would join the LFPF forum just for the sake of joining something in which they have no interest, unless they gained something from having access to the site. There seem to be two of these who "tacked on" to LF_NLD's legitimate "Introduction" thread just now. Related to that, some sites have an action which allows members to flag posts for the moderator's attention if something seems "off" or the post is particularly offensive. If we don't have one (I haven't found it) it might be a useful feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    . . . some sites have an action which allows members to flag posts for the moderator's attention if something seems "off" or the post is particularly offensive. If we don't have one (I haven't found it) it might be a useful feature.
    There is a small triangle at the lower left of every post that can be used to report suspicious or objectionable posts to the moderators.

I am not sure what it is, but the LF site often slows down Firefox to the point it is pretty much locked up. It is the only site I visit that does it to my machine. I have a Mac Pro. Until recently, I was running Snow Leopard and now am running Yosemite. It happened with both. It happened this morning. It seems to run better under Safari. Very strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Goldman View Post
    I am not sure what it is, but the LF site often slows down Firefox to the point it is pretty much locked up. It is the only site I visit that does it to my machine. I have a Mac Pro. Until recently, I was running Snow Leopard and now am running Yosemite. It happened with both. It happened this morning. It seems to run better under Safari. Very strange.
    That's a tough question, Harley. I haven't seen that behavior running Firefox on Windows. It may be a combination of things, including the configuration of your Mac, how much memory it has, and how that is configured, along with how Firefox runs. Firefox seems to keep a lot of previously-viewed pages in cache, which can use up a lot of memory. You might try closing Firefox, waiting a minute, or so, and restarting it to clear its memory usage and cache to see if that improves things.

Wingnut/GearJammer/IBEWRetired Racer X 69's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Goldman View Post
    Have you cleared the browser cache lately?
    Whiskey Is Sunlight Held Together By Water