Thread: Hello from Mo

Hello from Mo

Hey all,

I've been posting on apug for a while and finally decided to join this forum. I have been working with large format for about a year now, and love it. Currently have a Busch Pressman Model D, but am hoping to upgrade to a Chamonix once I can get the funds together (college student).

On a slightly different note, I have some 4x5 Provia 100f arriving next week after getting developed, and I can't wait to see it. It was pretty nerve-wracking to send that stuff out. Unfortunately I don't have many friends who can understand the excitement that comes along with getting 4x5 slide film back from development--especially after shooting under 2 sheets a month.

Hope you all have a good day!

Re: Hello from Mo

Mo as in Missouri? I live in St. Louis.

Welcome to the forum! You will probably recognize quite a few of us as members of APUG also.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Mo as in Missouri? I live in St. Louis.

Welcome to the forum! You will probably recognize quite a few of us as members of APUG also.
    Yup. I figured there would be some overlap since there aren't that many analog forums out there. It's cool to see both here and apug so consistently active.

Welcome! I'm currently living in SW IA, so not far.

I live near Chillicothe, in NW Missouri.

And I am in Nixa, just south of Springfield. There are at least four or five large format fans down in this area. Welcome to the forum!
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Cool--I didn't know there were any large format shooters left in Missouri. I have only met one other so far--most people using the darkroom are working with small format.

Welcome to the forum, Amfooty.

Amfooty, there is still hope. I visited the photo department in the Art building at Drury University a week ago and toured the whole thing. Nice sized camera room for both digital and analog instruction which is heavily emphasized as the foundation of learning photography. Two darkrooms. The small one had both a Zone VI and Durst 5x7 enlargers as well as a Beseler 23C. The large one had about twenty Omega LPL 4x5 units in nice printing stations around a huge centered processing sink with a massive industrial air handling system. SMU in Springfield used to have one about half that size with mostly Omega D2V's and I think they still do. Point is, large format is still being actively taught in this quarter of the state.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    Amfooty, there is still hope. I visited the photo department in the Art building at Drury University a week ago and toured the whole thing. Nice sized camera room for both digital and analog instruction which is heavily emphasized as the foundation of learning photography. Two darkrooms. The small one had both a Zone VI and Durst 5x7 enlargers as well as a Beseler 23C. The large one had about twenty Omega LPL 4x5 units in nice printing stations around a huge centered processing sink with a massive industrial air handling system. SMU in Springfield used to have one about half that size with mostly Omega D2V's and I think they still do. Point is, large format is still being actively taught in this quarter of the state.
    Don't worry, I still have hope. We have two darkrooms here at Mizzou--one public and one private. I know for a fact that Joe Johnson is going to introduce a large format class next year which will take the place of intermediate photography. There was a large format class over the summer that was a pretty great success as well. There is only one 4x5 enlarger though :/