Thread: First known photograph that included people.

First known photograph that included people.

I've seen this before but perhaps some of you haven't. I wonder if he's getting a "spit shine"?

http://mashable.com/2014/11/05/first...ph-of-a-human/

Re: First known photograph that included people.

I had a herd of elk wander into my scene while the lens was opened. None of them showed up on the negative -- guess I should have offered to give one of the ladies a hoof-shine, but the bull elk was making unfriendly noises so I did the quickest take-down of my 8x10 equipment I have ever done.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

Naah..... that was taken a week ago with a Smartphone using the "Scratched Negative Shoeshine App".

There are photographic portraits from close to that time of William Henry Harrison, Andrew Jackson and John Quincy Adams, while just a few years older they are recognizable people. And just think, J.Q. Adams met and knew George Washington and Abraham Lincoln and Jackson was a 13 year old courier in the Revolution who was captured by the British! Harrison died 32 days after his inaguration.

Drew Wiley

Hmmm ... My great grandma was an Adams, descended from them folks. But all the ole family photos of that clan seem to have men with chewing tobacco stains
    down the middle of their beards, and a minimum of teeth in the mouths of the women, generally zero teeth. Maybe it would be more flattering if photos from that era didn't exist. My sister has a stunning example of one of the Adams' daughters oil-colored in, including the eyes of course, due to the long exposure. She had a puckered up mouth too, with no teeth. Maybe 1840's, not quite back to the founding fathers themselves.

A recent book which mentions that particular image, and retells the story of the discovery of photography by either Daguerre or Talbot (the book provides the details of the competing claims) is "Capturing the Light" by Helen Rappaport. I just finished it, and many of you may find it interesting.

Stupidest line from the site though: "These ephemeral figures are hard to see because the original image photographic plate itself measured only 6.5 inches by 8.5 inches." Ummm....not the cause.