Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My first LF lens

My first LF lens

Hello Folks.

I am about to jump into the depths of large format photography having spent the last few years developing my skills with FF digital.

I have just ordered my first field camera today, though it does not come with a lens. I went for the Wista 45D, it doesnt seem too expensive and the pictures on ebay did make it look like it is in good nick. We'll see when it arrives I guess.

Firstly, Am I right in thinking that when it comes to a lens board, any Linhof large format board should fit? please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Secondly, when it comes to lens's I'm pretty much still clueless. I have been looking on sites like teamworkphoto, and the prices for what they call 'analogue' lens are up toward the £1000 mark. Im hoping that to begin with I should be able to pick up older used lenses at a fraction?

In digital (35mm) my preferred focal length is 24-35mm, I have read that the multiplier is x3 for LF? so something like 90mm? If I go on ebay and search large format and select 'photography' and 'lens' I get a whole load of choices that are in the price range I am hoping for? for example ( Schneider Angulon 90mm f/6.8 large format 5x4 lens ), am I right in thinking any lens that is described as '5x4 large format' should fit into any lens board? or am I off the mark here?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give here, complete newbie to this world but hope to stay.

Regards,

Andy.

Re: My first LF lens

Teamwork are too expensive.

Give Adorama, Badger Graphic, ffordes (UK), B&H used (more expensive though), KEH, bobrigby.com (UK), mrcad.co.uk a try.

I'll leave you to research what people think about each of them.

You may find that your preferred focal length for 4x5 shooting will be different, or maybe not. A 90mm SA lens is a good lens, but I would suggest easing into whatever you buy, and check out the sites mentioned by NoBob. No reason you should be spending £1000 for your first lens, especially with a used lens.

One of my favorite focal lengths for 35mm was my 25mm lens. I did the 3X thing and bought a 75mm lens. The problem you run into is that 4x5 is more square than 35mm or full frame digital. I found the 75mm too wide for my taste so I sold it and bought a 90mm which felt like my old 25mm to me.

Most recommend a "normal" focal length lens as a first lens as it's easier to learn with. I'd recommend buying a 150mm lens and picking up a 90mm as a secondl lens later.

Technika style boards have three sizes of holes in them, Copal 0, Copal 1 and Copal 3. You buy the corresponding board to the Copal or Compur shutter your lens comes in.

Modern Schneider, Rodenstock, Nikon, Fujinon, and Caltar lenses are all great quality and give similar results. Let price and condition be your guide as to which brand to buy.

If you calculate just using the diagonal of your FF digital (24x36mm) vs. the diagonal of 4x5 (approx. 95x120mm actual image area) then lenses in the 85-125mm range will be similar to your 24-35mm preference for FF digital. As Alan stated though, your visual perception may change a bit with the bigger film, largely due to a slight difference in ratios. In Alan's case, 75mm is certainly wider in actuality than his preference of 25mm lens on 135 format film and the 90mm he changed to is spot-on. A much more accurate multiplication factor going from 135 format to 4x5 inch is 3.53... if you only consider the diagonal of the actual image areas.

What types of photos will you be taking? Do you want several focal lengths to choose from? How much money do you want to spend for all your lenses? Are you a stickler for wanting the very best or is "excellent performance" good enough?

Click on "LF Home Page," read the FAQs.

Quote Originally Posted by NoBob View Post
    Teamwork are too expensive.

Give Adorama, Badger Graphic, ffordes (UK), B&H used (more expensive though), KEH, bobrigby.com (UK), mrcad.co.uk a try.

I'll leave you to research what people think about each of them.

agreed, Teamwork aren't cheap but they have, because of their location, high overheads, considerably so when compared with, say, Ffordes. Teamwork are good people though, mrcad is expensive

good luck

andrew

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    You may find that your preferred focal length for 4x5 shooting will be different, or maybe not. A 90mm SA lens is a good lens, but I would suggest easing into whatever you buy, and check out the sites mentioned by NoBob. No reason you should be spending £1000 for your first lens, especially with a used lens.
    Dan is spot on - buy a lens from a reputed manufacturer, that way at least it's easier to sell it on, if you're not happy

regards

andrew

lens boards

the Linhof/Wista boards are the ones that you need, Teamwork will carry the largest available stock in the UK - there are other Linhof boards but they will be too large for your Wista

regards

andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    If you calculate just using the diagonal of your FF digital (24x36mm) vs. the diagonal of 4x5 (approx. 95x120mm actual image area) then lenses in the 85-125mm range will be similar to your 24-35mm preference for FF digital. As Alan stated though, your visual perception may change a bit with the bigger film, largely due to a slight difference in ratios. In Alan's case, 75mm is certainly wider in actuality than his preference of 25mm lens on 135 format film and the 90mm he changed to is spot-on. A much more accurate multiplication factor going from 135 format to 4x5 inch is 3.53... if you only consider the diagonal of the actual image areas.

What types of photos will you be taking? Do you want several focal lengths to choose from? How much money do you want to spend for all your lenses? Are you a stickler for wanting the very best or is "excellent performance" good enough?
    Only Landscape photography, excellent performance is good for now :-) there's a Schneider Angulon 90mm f/6.8 on flebay for £100 which I was going to get as the price looks reasonable? would you agree? you're right my perception may change once I finally look through a ground glass, but I guess I need to start somewhere?