Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So. What do you do with 1megabyte files?

BAB

So. What do you do with 1megabyte files?

I've always loved large-format images, and making same. Just using a real camera is a treat, and seeing the detail and sharp transitions in resulting images is more than satisfying. Then I had some recent 4x5s scanned (my scanner will only do 6cm.) Wow. I may need to use my 6x9 film back more often. I need some advice about today's digital darkroom techniques.

For a start, what resolution should be used for scans?

Are these usually kept on DVD's, with reduced images stored on hard drives (both internal and external)?

My computer has an i7processor, 24gb of RAM, and my OS is 64bit Windows 7. When I open Photoshop the monitor jumps up in the air 1/4 inch . So I can handle large files. I'm just wondering what the usual practice is surrounding digital scanning, storage, and processing.

Thanks in advance,
    BAB

2 Bit Hack

Re: So. What do you do with 1megabyte files?

1 megabyte is not much of a file.

With that amount of ram you should not have any trouble processing just about anything. There will be several opinions on what resolution to scan. Some say scan once at the highest resolution so you only can once. That is a valid approach but I will start out around 1200 dpi and scan to an uncompressed TIFF. On a 4x5 that is somewhere between 40 and 50 mb or 5500x4400 pixels (8 bit). This suitable for internet after some reductions and post processing. If the image is suitable I will scan at higher resolutions depending upon the final use. Scanning at 6400 will produce a 1.5 gb file with roughly 30kx24k pixels. Overkill for the internet but for suitable for printing, if the image will hold up.
    Regards

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post

For a start, what resolution should be used for scans?
    BAB
    You are going to get a wide range of answers. Only you can make that call..what will you be using them for/ how large of a print do you need. You may find this article interesting if you haven't seen it: https://www.onlandscape.co.uk/2011/1...ra-comparison/

I have images scanned by Lenny Eiger (member here). 4x5 & 617 at 4000-8000 (1.3-6gb file) and 5x7 at 4000 (3gb file).

BAB

I meant 1000mb or a gigabyte. Sorry. (Or duh.) The most dense scan I have is at 3800ppi, with a file a bit over 1gig. I'm wondering what resolution is really necessary for, say, a 16x20 print.

Thanks for your response.

BAB

Thanks, so how do you store these? I'm assuming on DVD's ?

Abuser of God's Sunlight

You don't need anywhere near that resolution for a 16x20 print. People will argue this, but you can make a print with less than half the linear resolution which, if done properly, will be indistinguishable from the full resolution version. By this I mean that in a double-blind test no one will be able to tell the difference.

This isn't to say you should down-res your scans. I believe some experimentation is in order to find out what resolution, with your current scanning technology, extracts all the image information possible. I'm guessing with large format it will be under 3880, but it's quite possible that you will have some fine detail near the center of some images that takes advantage of this resolution. This, in turn, would be visible in a larger print.

So, if you want to store the best scan possible, it may make sense to keep doing what you're doing. If you save the files with LZW or Zip compression you can cut the file size in half (more or less). This is lossless; the only disadvantage is greatly increased open and save times (especially if you add layers).

If you're ok with saving files just for the best possible 16x20, you can downres to 1500ppi or so. This gives a file that's 1/4 the size you're seeing. Even smaller when compressed.

I'm not comfortable archiving files on optical media. Its permanence is questionable, because of the fugitive dyes. I keep everything on a big hard drive, with another big hard drive in the machine for automatic hourly backups (time machine), and other drives in a fireproof box or offsite for periodic manual backups ( carbon copy cloner).

Keeping this much data around is a drag, but at least we're not dealing with video ...

I agree with Paul. Dvd's are not a good medium. Not only are they of questionable longevity, they are slow. (If you do use them, check out the reviews as to longevity. Some are much better than others.) As Paul suggests, getting a couple of big hard drives is a good solution, as long as you're diligent in backing up to all of the drives. Off-site storage for one is a good idea.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

BAB

Thanks again, as this article addresses most of my basic questions. BAB

BAB

Thank, Paul,
    That makes sense, and as I think about it gives me two options.

First I can have the scans done at around 3800 and save that scan on a second hard drive; then downsize to 1600 and save those in my regular manner so as to have these quickly available. My 'regular manner' involves storing on the 1tb drive in my computer as LZW tiffs and also on 3tb desk hard drive as well. I also have two 1tb portable hard drives that I periodically rotate into a safe-deposit box to protect against fire or theft. Unfortunately these have less than 200gb of space remaining, so I may just buy another portable drive for saving film scans. It's relatively easy to increase the storage capability in the computer itself with another slave drive and I could opt, I suppose, for a couple portable 2tb hard drives for the rotation aspect.

The second option is scan initially at 1600 for working with the images, then save the negatives in that same safe deposit box. If larger scan is needed I can do that later. It's good to know that others are skeptical of DVDs.

BAB

BAB

Thanks, Peter. I do, indeed, store off site. Currently I have enough space on computer, desk top drive, but I'm going to be squeezed soon on the off-site portables. I'll just have to address that soon. I appreciate the advise.
    BAB