Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adams and Photoshop - Photo Techniques Jan/Feb 2004

Adams and Photoshop - Photo Techniques Jan/Feb 2004

Hi everyone –

The recent issue of Photo Techniques contains an essay that argues whether or not Ansel Adams would have used digital imaging and Photoshop. The author concludes that he would have, and I tend to agree.

But after I read it, I was troubled. Not to be disrespectful, but why would anyone care if Adams would use digital? I’ve seen this expressed before, the WWAD (What Would Ansel DO) syndrome. It’s as if we somehow need his permission. We feel guilty about using Photoshop, and seek absolution to make it ok. Of all the things in the world to worry about, this shouldn’t be high on the list.

Elsewhere in the issue is David Vestal’s monthly column. He’s a big proponent of, “it’s your art, and nobody else’s opinion makes any difference”. Right on, Dave. Whether you use digital, traditional process, some alternate homebrew, or Weston’s proverbial bathmat, you opinion is the one that matters. If it moves you, it’s good.

Please, I’m not putting down Adams, and I’m definitely not suggesting that we should all crawl into our caves and ignore what others are doing. In fact, I think that bouncing off other artists (and your audience) can only make you better. But, you get the final say, not Adams’ ghost or anyone else. There’s a vast range of techniques and materials out there, and they all have some validity. It’s up to us to choose what works. Whether Adams or anyone else uses Photoshop is of no relevance.

"it's your art, and nobody else's opinion makes any difference".

It does if you're trying to sell your work.

Adams used the only form of "Photoshop" available to him at the time in the form of extensive darkroom manipulation and I for one am glad he did.

Kevin,I agree. Adams is a figure that anyone using LF should know about, study, and perhaps admre.The Photo Techniques author made a good point in recalling Adam's own innovations, experiments, and interests in technologies and devices that for his era were new and controversial. So we can appreciate what he stood for and accomplished, but must we be limited to putting toppers on cadillacs because Ansel did? Using the large format film and glass plate cameras that he used? Should we be limited to making photographs only of that small part of the Southwest and the West where Adams photographed and thus ignoring the rest of the country or the world? Should we insist that all galleries exhibit only images made in california, the four corners area, maybe Alaska but none made east of the Rockies or west of Monterey? I think not. Perhaps the lack of a figure of his stature who is as admired and as controvserial as Adams is what many LFers and others miss, and in the vacuum they turn to enshrining a man who seemed to epitomize the rejection of such deitydom. Bob

Most forecasts about future events are 50-50 at best. You can argue that AA would have gone digital as much as he would not have. It is a forecast and as such is inherently subjective. It is all about the motives of the forecaster and his hidden agenda.

Kevin,

I agree with your comments and also wonder why we would even want to speculate on what Ansel would have used, or not used, in his artistic endeavors. That being said... I would like to think that he would have been progressive enough to have recognized that "the world is not a static place" and that technology evolves, as it should!

My thought is that he would have produced beautiful images regardless of whether he would have wanted to manipulate the image in the darkroom or via Photoshop. Afterall, there's no disputing the fact that he was a genius in the photographic world.

Lastly...let's put this all into perspective. Ansel Adams, IMHO, was a progressive person with progressive thoughts. If not, he most likely would have stayed with the traditional horse and buggy rather than what he drove (International?)

Only my two-bits worth!

Merry Christmas to all and to all... A Merry Christmas!

(Semantics)
    Life in the fast lane!

I must say that everyone's preconceived notion of what Ansel Adams would say or do or think or use is utter nonesense. And he would be the first to tell you so. People should quit having to justify their regard or disregard for what he would do or say or think. I read and hear so many people predicating their ideas based on whether he would agree or disagree with them. You don't think his art is to your liking, he wouldn't care. You think he would like your art or would care one wit whether you liked his or not, he wouldn't care. I say quit using him to justify your ideas and feelings. You don't carefor his art? Fine. You do like his art? Fine. Just quit bringing up his name and his art to justify some idea or give your art or opinion validity. He made his statement through his art and that's that. He's portrayed as some god by some and the devil by others and none of us knew him. You don't like his wonderfully expressive prints, ok. You like abstract urpban scenes with homeless people then fine. Do it and quit trying to justify it by villianizing Ansel Adams.

I remember a day in the late 80s, when I was sitting in the office of my father's studio reading a photo mag. At that point, he far exceeded the caliber of photographer that Ansel Adams was, in my teen-aged opinion; we did everything together, and he was no small hero for me.
    Having just read about the "new Minolta Maxxum" I asked him what he thought about this new camera. His response? "Computerized cameras-- auto-focus-- nothing but a gee-whiz fad. It'll never last."
    He died not too long after that, but I've often recalled that brief conversation and wondered what he would think were he around today. My guess is that Ansel may have had similar thoughts, recognizing the oncoming train of technological progress as the equipment that was state-of-the-art in the prime of his career was fast becoming obsolete (or did you suppose that Moore's Law was not true before the 70s?).
    Would he have used digital? Probably so, if that is what he was given to work with; probably, however, with great reluctance-- and maybe with some difficulty getting past well-established habits of using "analog" gear (I'm reminded of a beloved, aging professor from college who typed on his keyboard with the form and posture of a pianist, since that was the "keyboard" he knew the best!).

Kevin,

I agree as well! The arguement is pointless unless I were trying to somehow "legitimize" digital by conjuring up a cosmic endorsement by Ansel Adams---then it becomes truly pointless. It would be like saying Michealangelo would have preferred "Bondo" to Marble, Chief Joseph would have flown an F-15 instead of an Appaloosa, or Count Basie would have traded in his piano for a moog---maybe so, maybe not, but it ain't going to happen and shouldn't be an overriding factor in selecting the vehicle that best suits our pursuit of a vision----use the tools & processes YOU enjoy! Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Everything we talk about doesn't have to serve a specific utilitarian purpose. Sometimes people talk just because the topic is interesting. Of course it doesn't "matter" one whit whether Ansel Adams would have used a digital camera and switched to Photoshop or not. OTOH, it's kind of interesting to speculate. I enjoyed the article in "Photo Techniques" despite the author's egregious error in crediting Minor White with being the co-inventor of the zone system along with Adams. Poor Fred Archer, he doesn't get any respect.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Well, I'm kinda in a bind now. Before I make any expensive decisions - anyone know for sure whether Adams would have stuck with Photoshop 7 or upgrade to Photoshop CS?
    For that matters would he have used a Mac?