Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Wooden Studio Stand?

Re: DIY Wooden Studio Stand?

I have seen those scissor jack tables on wood shop tables.

Now we need 3 legged as it moves better and is self-leveling.

And tilt.

I like that the video has a speed handle attached to the bench for emergencies.
    Tin Can

My first question is whether you're trying to approximate the aesthetics of the original. I.E. a purely functional stand or one that looks nice.

There may be a number of ways to accomplish the up/down movement, but many won't provide the level of stability needed.

I prefer function.

OP may have own ideas.
    Tin Can

i prefer function too but I also want to take into account of the ease of obtaining the parts. I also believe what another user,Jac@stafford.net has said, there should be better modern parts. Just like in recent years we seen the focusing on field cameras like Chamonix cameras using more modern industrial automation parts for their focusing function.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post

Now we need 3 legged as it moves better and is self-leveling.
    Indeed, but I do not understand the reference to self leveling.

Larger than the original iron wheels would be good.

The original axial spring to regulate lowering the camera platform while also assisting its rise remains a challenge. Counter weights require too much space.

OK, wrong on 'self-leveling'.

How about, 'non-rocking'?
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    OK, wrong on 'self-leveling'.

How about, 'non-rocking'?
    That works!

Quote Originally Posted by pound View Post
    thank you MrFujicaman. U have PM
    I found a set of photos from someone doing a semi-centennial stand restoration. Here is one of them. Is the kong pinion shaft with the brake a commercially available part?
    No 1A CENTURY - SEMI CENTENNIAL STAND DURING RESTORATION by Primo Iglesias, on Flickr
    Hi! I figured i should reply to this since that's the semi-centennial stand I restored.
    My advice don't give up searching for one. I looked around (I was diligent) for the better part of two (2) years and low and behold I was driving through town on my way to the post office why the town was having their annual garage sale day, i saw from about 200 feet the two post and I could not believe my eyes. As I approached the merchant, I asked if it was still for sale, he responded with, yes, it is! Do you know what this thing is? I said yes, hold it while I find a parking spot and would be right back.
    When I approached the merchant I told him what it was, what it was used for and what he wanted for it. Now mind you, it was in terrible weathered condition. It seems it was left in a barn for the better part of 60 years (take a look at the pre and post restoration photos on my FLICKR. He said what would I offer him, I told him that in its condition I would give him $80 to $100.00 but since I wasn't working I could only offer $50.00. He asked for $75.00 and I told him the most I could do is $60.00 and the deal was done.
    It took me two weeks and lots of man hours to bring it back to working condition. Only one piece was missing which is the wooden handle to crank up the stand platform, but that was (I just recently got the replace wooden handle, an original) it, everything else was in perfect condition after the clean up, rust removal and sanding. The wooden post were immaculate. This is the easiest stand to take apart and it does not take to much space if boxed correctly for shipping. It will weight though, its not plastic (LOL!)

My point is, if you want it bad enough, look at every possible auction site, penny saver, Craigslist, eBay and do this religiously every day, it will turn up and I would rather have the original than having to make my own. Then again, that's just my opinion. I know the passion we feel when we see these stands, they are just amazing, even to this day I think they are better than anything else out there. If you have any questions regarding the restoration, please ask. I do have if anyone is interested, a original Folmer & Graflex Laboratory stand. They were made for the Navy and defense contractors back in the day. I got it when I purchased a Deardorff Commercial Studio Camera from a former Grumman employee. It was one of four Deardorff ordered for Grumman. You can see that restoration on my FLICKR page as well. Here is a link to my page:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ficion...7634310408717/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ficion...7638395198356/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ficion...7638397738335/

Good luck.

I didn't see the Folmer & Graflex Laboratory stand' on Flickr.

Was it there?

I have my SC11 at full rack tonight checking out 1-1 with 900 mm lens. First look see at this.
    Tin Can

Hi Primo, thank you for sharing your story on how you get that stand. it is a very good price you got it for. Thanks for shraing the photos. It is the most complete set of photos I can find of the stand in its dismantled form.

Things are a bit complicated for me as I am in Singapore. I am not sure is there such stand in Singapore in the first place. So i guess the best bet is to look for one in US and try to ship it over. I will have find a seller who is willing to ship it to my shipper in Portland and then from there it will take a slow sea journey back to Singapore. I am estimating I will need to spend a few hundreds just on shipping cost alone. That is fine if I can find a stand at a good price