Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Artist Resale Royalties (aka ‘Droit de Suite’)

Artist Resale Royalties (aka ‘Droit de Suite’)

The other day I made a clumsy comment in Kirk Giddings Artist Success thread about this topic. I was unaware of any historical precedence. But today this very interesting news popped up in my email.

http://hyperallergic.com/153681/an-i...roit-de-suite/

The article does ask for POLITICAL action, I believe this issue is a concern for every artist, especially the not famous or pre famous.

If this is too POLITICAL so be it.

This is actually business.

What are your thoughts?
    Tin Can

Re: Artist Resale Royalties (aka ‘Droit de Suite’)

What a stupid idea. No wonder that it's the law in France.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

It is also the law here. I wish it were implemented. I know my work has ben resold, and I never received a penny.

The folks that work 9-5 have a number of mechanisms to save money for retirement, 401K's, etc. Artists generally get paid very poorly, they get almost no government assistance, unlike in other countries. Musicians even get something when their song is played on the radio, due to their unions. I will not suggest that any of these systems work properly or fully.

The suggestion is that if someone is stupid enough to be an artist, then so be it: you get to be poor, have a terrible time getting your kids thru college and must figure out how to live on social security money, which is a total joke.

It begs the other question, of course, which is whether there is any value to art. My opinion is that this culture (the US) is in serious trouble and desperately needs art, among a lot of other things.

When your work is resold, if you have enough, it could act as a kind of retirement income, and it should. If you look at the countries where people are happiest, they have an idea that "we are all in this together" vs the "I got mine, screw you" that is most prevalent here in the US. It is more than disappointing. Being one of those idealistic people that grew up in the 60's, this sin't what I signed up for. I'd like to see it change.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    The other day I made a clumsy comment in Kirk Giddings Artist Success thread about this topic...
    ____

Kirk Giddings... Who is that anyway?

_________

I think a resale royalty is a great idea. The auction houses, galleries, art reps/ dealers..they only care about their commission percentage on the sale of work to their clientele & could care less about the artists themselves.
    It needs to be applied to sales outside of auction houses, as well, but enforcing the royalty on those sales might be difficult.

I don't see why any artist who sells a piece to a buyer cant have a contract written up to include a resale royalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Taija71A View Post
    ____

Kirk Giddings... Who is that anyway?

_________
    Sorry Mr Gittings. I am really bad with names. I could not introduce my brother to my mother. Not kitting.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Sorry Mr Gittings. I am really bad with names. I could not introduce my brother to my mother. Not kitting.
    ____

Good one Randy!
    I like your 'Sense of Humor' (You win!).
    --
    Best regards,

-Tim.

_________

Quote Originally Posted by gregmo View Post
    I don't see why any artist who sells a piece to a buyer cant have a contract written up to include a resale royalty.
    That's my question too... It would strengthen provenance by tracking art like we track collector cars with title transfers, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    That's my question too... It would strengthen provenance by tracking art like we track collector cars with title transfers, etc...
    Luckily, I live in the lawyer capital of the world & have several lawyer friends. I emailed one of my good friends who does a lot of contract work about this. I would think artist to buyer to 3rd party is pretty easy to keep binding. Need to find out about later re-sale. Why wait for the government to make laws like this. Just be proactive & do it. I'm young & have a solid 50-60 years ahead of me..plan for the future, right. ha