Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4x10 Film washer?

4x10 Film washer?

Does such a thing exist? I've just email Inglis to ask if they do customs. How do you wash your odd sized negs?

Thanks,
    CB

Re: 4x10 Film washer?

I have one of those Zone VI things I think he called it the washing machine. Insert/basket works for 4X5 and 5X7 and 4X10 for me. I've seen them on the Bay.

Photographer

I use a Zone VI film washer "basket" for 4x5, 5x7, and 4x10 film. They show up on Ebay occasionally. You can also use any slotted print washer, or make your own custom film washer (search here and APUG). Sorry the pic is upside down, but, then, a view camera guy should be able to handle it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Keith Pitman

Actually, I have a friend who has built a number of gadgets for the Cinema industry. I think he's going to build me a washer for the 4x10. If anybody else needs one let me know and I'll see what pricing is like.

Cheers,
    CB

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

I'd be interested...

Huh, Inglis got back to me and said they'd do one for $240ish. That seems pretty reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Barrett View Post
    Huh, Inglis got back to me and said they'd do one for $240ish. That seems pretty reasonable.
    Amen.

Alistair makes some fabulous washers as I have five (4x5, 5x7, 8x10, 11x14 and 8x20) and I use them regularly. The washers isolate sheets from any contact at the edges and using a nozzle effect, use absolutely minimal amounts of water. They use so little water that you should be careful that you start the water flow into the unit very slowly so as to not put unnecessary pressure into the unit. When you consider the price of sheet film the Inglis washers are a no brainer. I have not had a sheet of film scratched in a very long time.

Another grateful customer of Alistair here. Have an 8x20 washer and a contact printer/pin register system. Both of them are very well made and are a pleasure to work with. Cheers, DJ

Quote Originally Posted by N Dhananjay View Post
    Another grateful customer of Alistair here. Have an 8x20 washer and a contact printer/pin register system. Both of them are very well made and are a pleasure to work with. Cheers, DJ
    +1
    I have the 8x10 washer, it makes the process much easier, and the washers are very well-made.
    Michael's caveat about using minimal pressure is worth noting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    +1
    I have the 8x10 washer, it makes the process much easier, and the washers are very well-made.
    Michael's caveat about using minimal pressure is worth noting.
    I once made the mistake once of turning on my Wing Lynch temp controller with the water volume control knob at an larger than normal open position connected to my 8x10 washer and Alistair ended up doing a small repair for me. The intense pulse of water delivered to the washer was more than the nozzles were able to handle and it was completely my fault for being far to lax in not making sure that the water control value was closed. Learned my lesson and will never make that mistake again. I am such a fan of these products I am seriously considering back up washers as a hedge.