Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How fit a 8x10 springback to old mahogany Reisekamera

Question How fit a 8x10 springback to old mahogany Reisekamera

I think it's all in the headline. My Reisekamera https://www.flickr.com/photos/cheffa...57627148282242 has a detachable wooden cassette holder so I was thinking I would like to fit a borrowed 8x10 springback to use my stock of 18x24 film in also borrowed 18x24 film holders. I really want to use that 100 year old Tessar Fliegertruppe that came with it!

Is there a standard solution to this that anyone can direct me to or do I just try to make a wooden frame and carve until everything fits?

Happy for any input on this!

Re: How fit a 8x10 springback to old mahogany Reisekamera

You'd need to modify a 10x8 spring back to make it fit, you can't do that to something you've borrowed. I have a similar problem with my Reisekamera and will make a new 10x8 back once I finish my house (moved earlier this year).

Alternately find some wooden plate holders that fit and use a card adapter to shoot film.

Ian

Perhaps I would be able to buy the back. Then what would be the procedure? I'm thinking mounting a wooden frame to the back in order to make it fit where the cassette holder sits now?

see "Mystery Frankenstein Camera......help my friend!" thread
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I use an 8X10 magnesium Calumet C1 back on several old cameras (boxes). It is sturdy and fastens with 2 bolts. I usually install 2 Tee Nuts into new wood and simply bolt and unbolt my back as I need it for several cameras. Since the same mounting is used for C1 reducing backs, I can use 4x5 and 5x7 film holders also.

The modifications necessary are very minimal if planned well. A flat adapter board is usually made from good plywood.

I am doing the same to a Century Tailboard, purchased here, next week.

It fits to the 'T', meaning the GG is precisely indexed in a modern metal back.
    Tin Can

The "Standard Solution" is to buy or loan proper book double plate holders (and 18x24 sheaths) from someone who has been fortunate to collect a lot of these in connection with purchases of similar 18x24cm Reisekameras.

Someone like me, for instance.

I don't think that "back conversion" is a very good idea - only if you are thinking of taking 100's of exposures every month.

I have seen some vintage heavy duty modifications to nice cameras.

I always prefer pure stock anything, but if one wants to use an object sometimes expediency rises to the front.

I know Steven has a solution better than mine.

One of my favorite old movies is, 'Flight of the Phoenix' 1965.
    Tin Can

Thank you all! If you have a picture, or two, of your solutions I wouldn't mind if you showed me here. We'll see how I solve this. If I succeed I will use the two boxes of 18x24 Fomapan film I have, and surely get more..

You have the advantage of being in a part of Europe where 18x24 cameras were common and having film, they are uncommon in the UK. I'd PM Steven or look on Ebay for 18x24 plate holders, there's one at the moment on the German portal.

Personally I won't modify my 18x24 camera, I'll keep the existing back and make a new one, in my case 10x8 film is easier to find and if Ilford re-introduce their direct positive paper the camera will get used regularly. Meanwhile once I've restored the camera I will also get hold of 18x24 plate holders.

Ian

Ian, does the springback on this camera looks familiar to you? It seems to be mostly metal or all-metal (apart from the ground glass, of course), but whether it was added to the frame as a DIY job puzzles me.