Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3d printing an 8x10 negative carrier for Epson scanners?

3d printing an 8x10 negative carrier for Epson scanners?

Would it be possible to 3d print an 8x10 negative carrier for an Epson scanner? This ideas been rolling around in my head for awhile and I've been thinking of asking my dad to make something in a 3d program as a prototype since he uses those programs for work. Just curious for those who understand the limits of 3d printing would it be possible? Or would the size be too big for the 3d printers to handle? I figure it wouldn't be difficult to prototype an 8x10 holder based off the 8x10 border you get with the scanners and mix it with the design/height of the 4x5 carriers.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Re: 3d printing an 8x10 negative carrier for Epson scanners?

If you had access to a 3D printer that has a large enough work platform and most important a fine enough resolution
    then I don't see why it couldn't be 3D printed. IMHO something like a neg carrier would be better suited CNC'd.

The good thing about 3d is that you can print snap together parts, if the holder is too big to be printed all at once

I've been thinking about making negative carriers and various other projects for my darkroom. I agree with Jim, I'm planning to use CNC machines and/or laser cutter.

Quote Originally Posted by axs810 View Post
    Would it be possible to 3d print an 8x10 negative carrier for an Epson scanner? This ideas been rolling around in my head for awhile and I've been thinking of asking my dad to make something in a 3d program as a prototype since he uses those programs for work. Just curious for those who understand the limits of 3d printing would it be possible? Or would the size be too big for the 3d printers to handle? I figure it wouldn't be difficult to prototype an 8x10 holder based off the 8x10 border you get with the scanners and mix it with the design/height of the 4x5 carriers.

Thoughts? Opinions?
    This would be a waste of time, effort and money as it cannot work, certainly not with a V700 or V750. 8x10 can only be scanned with the lens that scans what is actually laid on the glass inside the film area guide. It is too big for the lens that scans what is in a lens holder and raised from the glass. The best way to get reasonable scans for 8x10 (and Whole Plate) is to lay the film emulsion side down on the glass inside the film area guide and lay a sheet of Anti-Newton Ring glass on top of the negative (also inside the film area guide) to ensure a flat contact. This avoids Newton Rings and avoids any distortion from any curvature of the negative.

RR

Unless you stretch an 8x10 it will never hover flat over the glass.

I have good luck just doing it the Epson way and as mentioned below using AN glass.

Wet mount is well liked and will do wonders with scratches and spots, I have heard repeatedly here. I have no reason to doubt wet mount. I just don't need it and never tried it.
    Tin Can

So even though it may not be practical for 8x10, I wouldn't mind a neg carrier for 5x7 on my 750. I could retire my "matboard neg carrier" in that case...

5*7 and 8*10 go direct on the glass with a v700 you don't need a negative carrier. Anyway it would be easier to make you using sheet plastic and a router.
    Cheers Shane

I guess I really didn't think this one thru...I forgot the negative had to be laying directly on the ground glass. I don't know how I forgot that... /)_-

Well as we know individual results may vary with a flatbed scanner, and I get very sharp results with my 5x7 negs emulsion up, in a frame made out of two pieces of mat board.