Thread: Widepan .. adapter to use Canon on 5x4

Widepan .. adapter to use Canon on 5x4

While searching for lensboards for my ol' LinhofColor 5x4 ive come across another adapter to use a Canon [or Nikon] body as the digital capture device

kinda impressively clever tbh

that off-centre-rotate promises impressive coverage

LinhofColor http://www.butkus.org/chinon/linhof/...nhof_color.htm
    and its manual http://www.cameramanuals.org/prof_pdf/linhof_color.pdf

Widepan http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Widepan-4-...-/151291355663

anyone know or used this device ?

im plotting to get one, they have Linhof engineers involved in the build and i kinda like that

Re: Widepan .. adapter to use Canon on 5x4

I suggest you search threads for people using dslr's on view cameras. There's nothing impressive about it and plenty of chinese adapters like this have been available for seversl years.

Or you could buy the Horseman LD or Cambos custom made to suit Nikon or Canon systems

Quote Originally Posted by analoguey View Post
    Or you could buy the Horseman LD or Cambos custom made to suit Nikon or Canon systems
    interesting -- didnt know about these, cheers

i've looked at a few of the Chinese ones, this one seems better/cleverer

They do, indeed - when I was looking at getting my 4x5 fitted with my digital these were among the things I considered (including the Chinese adapters). I have since put that on hold - but these do seem to be better than buying a Sinar and retrofitted with a SLR. :-)

This is the one I have, and I've written about it here before in the DSLR adapter threads before. The main issue is that the mirror box of an SLR restricts the maximum usable image size due to vignetting and minimum focal length (at infinity). A mirrorless camera body should get you more, but many of those have small sensors, so it's more frames to stitch.

Still, it has its uses. It's good for tabletop/macro use with a stable light source, and you can get about a 60x60mm effective sensor size (or around 40x90 panoramic) with stitching depending on the focal length, subject distance, choice of camera, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    This is the one I have, and I've written about it here before in the DSLR adapter threads before. The main issue is that the mirror box of an SLR restricts the maximum usable image size due to vignetting and minimum focal length (at infinity). A mirrorless camera body should get you more, but many of those have small sensors, so it's more frames to stitch.

Still, it has its uses. It's good for tabletop/macro use with a stable light source, and you can get about a 60x60mm effective sensor size (or around 40x90 panoramic) with stitching depending on the focal length, subject distance, choice of camera, etc.
    cool .. i realise it has limitations i will have to work within .. the camera i will be using it on, initially at least, is my ol' Linhof Color

which is fairly limited already, works well within those tho

I'm not set up for shooting film atm, but digital can be done [with caveats] it seems

without getting too spendy