Thread: Migrant Mother tripod?

Migrant Mother tripod?

I wonder if Dorothea Lange used a tripod for her 4x5 Graflex when she photographed the Migrant Mother series?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Re: Migrant Mother tripod?

Watch this if you haven't already. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFbU1iOluSQ I seem to remember she was using the handheld with the hood she is shown with in some of the shots of her on location, but not certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Will S View Post
    Watch this if you haven't already. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFbU1iOluSQ I seem to remember she was using the handheld with the hood she is shown with in some of the shots of her on location, but not certain.
    Thank you for the link. I just watched the stunning documentary on Dorothea Lange's life. Very inspiring.

For a second there I thought it was a new brand of tripod !

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    Thank you for the link. I just watched the stunning documentary on Dorothea Lange's life. Very inspiring.
    There are two more documentaries on DL shot by KQED some years ago with live interviews. I think that one of them is called "Under the trees." You might want to check it out.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Drew Wiley

Big public hooplas were pretty well choreographed for PR purposes, then as now, but especially during that season of concentrated Federal effort to spread the
    message. So a documentary clip about a documentary photographer could well have been briefly staged, even if the location and final still photographs were not. In other words, this in itself does not inform us whether or not the camera was actually used handheld. I don't know if one of her relatives will know. They were in
    here yesterday.