Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: lightweight 4x5

lightweight 4x5

How about a nice, virtually new 4x5 Nagaoka (same as ANBA and Ikeda) weighing 2.5 pounds, and a 5x7 extension back (18 oz) for $650. Alas spring backs only.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

lightweight 4x5

Mark - You're right, the Tachihara doesn't have a Graflok back, it hs a spring back. I missed that in his list of needs.

Kevin - My Tachihara had a 13 inch bellows and I could focus my Nikon 300M to about 10-12 feet. Not as close as I could if the bellows were longer but adequate considering that I seldom would be using a 300mm lens for closeups.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

lightweight 4x5

I know all of Kerry's postings almost by heart, and MIGHT try the ARCA F line but am put off by the weight. The Toho is attractive, but no graflok style back, which keeps one from using Horseman roll film holders.

You might consider the ARCA-SWISS Misura. It doesn't have back movements, but is considerably lighter than the F-Line. Another option would be an ARCA-SWISS F-Line equipped with the 6x9 front standard and the new 140mm size rear standard. It's basically a cross between an F-Line and a Misura.

For a REALLY light camera, it's tough to beat the Toho. At less than 3 lbs. with 15" of belows and full front and rear movements, it's a great camera for hiking and backpacking. It does not have a Grafloc back, but it can still be used with roll film holders. The back on the Toho opens wider than any spring back I've ever seen. It handles the Toyo rollfilm holders (which are excellent and available in 6x7 abd 6x9) with ease. I've even used it with my Shen-Hao 6x12 back (you have to be careful not to scratch or break the ground glass when inserting or removing the roll film holder). The operation of the Toho is a bit unconventional, but that's how they kept the weight down.

As you can see from the huge variety of responses, there is no one perfect camera. Given all of your requirements, the Canham is probably the best compromise. If you can live without the 450mm and the Grafloc back, the Toho is 2 lbs. lighter than the Canham and can handle telephoto lenses up to 500mm.

Finally, if you are really concerned about weight (which you seem to be judging by the title of this thread), don't believe manufacturer's published weight specs. I've weighed many cameras, and several of them, especially many advertised as lightweight, weigh considerably more than advertised. From personal experience, I can tell you that the weight of my Toho, as delivered was a hair less than advertised. After a few simple modifications (mostly losing the useless focusing hood), it was even lighter (2 lb. 12 1/2 oz.). My Canham, which was one of the first one's built, weighed 4 lb. 14 oz. - or 3 oz. over spec. Not too bad. Other brands I've weighed have been as much as 25% heavier than advertised. So, buyer beware. I'm going to start a separate thread where people can post the ACTUAL weight of their cameras. This same problem exists with backpacking gear. So, some of the web sites that specialize in ultralight backpacking have sections where they report ACTUAL gear weights. So, what do you say guys. Put your Tachiharas, Wistas, Wisners, Ebonys, Shen-Haos, Horsemans (or is that Horsemen?), etc. on the scales and post the results (in the "other" thread I'm about to post).

Good luck, let us know what you get and how you like it.

Kerry

lightweight 4x5

Maybe a Panfield if you can chase up Mr Meintjes. Light weight, get him to make it with a Sinar back so you have the Graflok facilities and also get the rear extension rail. This will give you lens coverage from 58mm to pretty much however long you need - I go out to 450mm no problems. No rear tilt or swing on the short version, though. Rear base tilt with the extension rail, but full movements on the front standard.
    Mike

lightweight 4x5

For a number of years I have been using the Sinar P which is a no no for trekking.

I have studied the market long enough to convince my suspicious self, that the 5X4 portable camera I should go for is the, Acra Swiss F-Classic with Orbix Geared Tilt.

Ideal for the back pack, so the hands can fully manipulate the trekking poles to assist balance over rough terrain, they can also be used as monopods.

It is my ambition to be the owner of an Acra Swiss early next year. In the meantime I will have to combine my wild country photographic exploits with weight lifting!

Good luck in whatever your choice, it will be a system worth the investment.

lightweight 4x5

I'm a Tachihara user for 24-years; no complaints; light weight; has all needed movements for a field camera. Latest ones are sturdier.

lightweight 4x5

Ok guys, I got the RW 45 ebony AND the Arca Swiss F line. I took a page out of Kerry's book and plan to have a really light weight rig with the Ebony, and all the movements you can imagine with the ARCA.

Results later-stay tuned, and thanks to all for the kind words.

lightweight 4x5

herb...

how are you finding these cameras? i'm thinking about swapping out my technika pretty soon for something lighter...

lightweight 4x5

A question concerning the Wisner Pocket Expedition: Can the (front) shift and swing be locked one at a time? -
    Thank you!
    Hening