Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Howdy from Cypress, Texas

Re: Howdy from Cypress, Texas

Thanks again for all the advice. Is it realistic that the Harrison tent be packed and carried?

So, it seems there are two things to know about boards, Linhof is one and the other would be the shutter? I guess one is the size of the board and the other is the size of the hole?

Yeah step-up rings seem the way to go. Otherwise you end up putting small filters on a larger lens...probably doesn't work to well. I forget (I have a horrendous memory) what size my filters are for my Hasselblad...but could some of those even be used, if the set up is right?

Alas, I will do some searching for these specific questions. Tons of information. Thanks again Alan.

Yes, you remove the collapsible poles from the Harrison tent. The tent then rolls up and everything fits into a small traveling bag that comes with the tent. It's real easy and you take it out of your suitcase and set it up on your motel bed when traveling. I know it's not cheap but some things are just worth the money.

Copal shutters come in sizes Copal 0, Copal 1, Copal 3 and there is the occasional Copal 3s. You just need a lens board with the corresponding Copal sized hole drilled into it.

The Hasselblad Zeiss lenses use bayonet mount filters and later 4x5 lenses take the standard screw mount filters.

"So, it seems there are two things to know about boards, Linhof is one and the other would be the shutter? I guess one is the size of the board and the other is the size of the hole?"

Not really. Linhof makes different size boards for different sizes and types of Linhof cameras. They make boards for the Technika 69, Technika 45/Technikardan/Tecno, Technika 57, M679 and Kardan cameras. When people here say Linhof board they are almost always refering to a Technika 45/Technikardan/Techno lens board. This type of board is also used by many other camera manufacturers as well.

Technika boards can have a pilot hole, a 0 size hole, a 1 size hole or a 3 size hole if they are flat boards. If they are recessed they usually have a 0 hole but are also available with a 1 size hole. The size of the hole is determined by the shutter the lens is mounted in. Basically lenses from 23mm to 150mm are in a 0 size shutter. 180mm to 210mm are in a 1 size shutter and 240mm and up to 480mm are in a 3 size shutter. Although there are some exceptions to this. For instance a Rodenstock Grandagon-N 90mm 6.8 is in a 0 shutter while the Grandagon-N 90mm 4.5 comes in a 1 size shutter.

Quote Originally Posted by appletree View Post
    Thanks again for all the advice. Is it realistic that the Harrison tent be packed and carried?

So, it seems there are two things to know about boards, Linhof is one and the other would be the shutter? I guess one is the size of the board and the other is the size of the hole?

Yeah step-up rings seem the way to go. Otherwise you end up putting small filters on a larger lens...probably doesn't work to well. I forget (I have a horrendous memory) what size my filters are for my Hasselblad...but could some of those even be used, if the set up is right?

Alas, I will do some searching for these specific questions. Tons of information. Thanks again Alan.
    Depending on the lenses your Hasselblad has they could be Hasselblad Bay 50, Bay 60 or Bay 70. If you have the 40mm then it is Bay 8. Some Hasselblad lenses also used a drop-in Series 93 size.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Yes, you remove the collapsible poles from the Harrison tent. The tent then rolls up and everything fits into a small traveling bag that comes with the tent. It's real easy and you take it out of your suitcase and set it up on your motel bed when traveling. I know it's not cheap but some things are just worth the money.

Copal shutters come in sizes Copal 0, Copal 1, Copal 3 and there is the occasional Copal 3s. You just need a lens board with the corresponding Copal sized hole drilled into it.

The Hasselblad Zeiss lenses use bayonet mount filters and later 4x5 lenses take the standard screw mount filters.
    Ahh ok good to know. It seems like the pup folds to about 12"x4" and weighs in around 2lbs. Seems like the way to go and can probably eventually find a gently used one on eBay. Yes, seems like they can go anywhere from 100-150, so some savings already going used.

And yes you are right, my hassie does take bayonet filters. I will look into the system you suggested (lee or cokin). Looked up some pictures so now I understand how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    "So, it seems there are two things to know about boards, Linhof is one and the other would be the shutter? I guess one is the size of the board and the other is the size of the hole?"

Not really. Linhof makes different size boards for different sizes and types of Linhof cameras. They make boards for the Technika 69, Technika 45/Technikardan/Tecno, Technika 57, M679 and Kardan cameras. When people here say Linhof board they are almost always refering to a Technika 45/Technikardan/Techno lens board. This type of board is also used by many other camera manufacturers as well.

Technika boards can have a pilot hole, a 0 size hole, a 1 size hole or a 3 size hole if they are flat boards. If they are recessed they usually have a 0 hole but are also available with a 1 size hole. The size of the hole is determined by the shutter the lens is mounted in. Basically lenses from 23mm to 150mm are in a 0 size shutter. 180mm to 210mm are in a 1 size shutter and 240mm and up to 480mm are in a 3 size shutter. Although there are some exceptions to this. For instance a Rodenstock Grandagon-N 90mm 6.8 is in a 0 shutter while the Grandagon-N 90mm 4.5 comes in a 1 size shutter.
    Hi Bob, thanks for the information. Seems like there are a myriad of options. Is there a chart out there? Maybe one just worries about the board after owning a lens...haha. Probably a wise first step! I have a very handy list of large format lenses compiled by Michael Davis, but it is circa 2002. And just noticed that it in fact does include the shutter size! So the only next step is making sure my board fits the camera. Easy enough. I am learning!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Depending on the lenses your Hasselblad has they could be Hasselblad Bay 50, Bay 60 or Bay 70. If you have the 40mm then it is Bay 8. Some Hasselblad lenses also used a drop-in Series 93 size.
    Yes, my camera is at home now, but IIRC my lenses take Bay 60 size filters. Both my 80 and 150 take the same size, I know that for sure. Just can't recall if they are C or CF. Thanks again for the info.

I had a 500/cm for a while. I used an inexpensive Chinese adaptor ring to convert my 80mm Bay 60 lens to screw mount filter threads. I then used a step-up ring to use my 77mm filters.

The Chamonix that you are looking at takes Technika style boards. The generic boards are cheaper than the Linhof brand. Badger Graphics sells new boards http://www.badgergraphic.com/opencar...roduct_id=1080 or you can buy used ones off Ebay and save some money.

Ahh ok good to know. It seems like the pup folds to about 12"x4" and weighs in around 2lbs. Seems like the way to go and can probably eventually find a gently used one on eBay. Yes, seems like they can go anywhere from 100-150, so some savings already going used.

And yes you are right, my hassie does take bayonet filters. I will look into the system you suggested (lee or cokin). Looked up some pictures so now I understand how it works.

Hi Bob, thanks for the information. Seems like there are a myriad of options. Is there a chart out there? Maybe one just worries about the board after owning a lens...haha. Probably a wise first step! I have a very handy list of large format lenses compiled by Michael Davis, but it is circa 2002. And just noticed that it in fact does include the shutter size! So the only next step is making sure my board fits the camera. Easy enough. I am learning!

Yes, my camera is at home now, but IIRC my lenses take Bay 60 size filters. Both my 80 and 150 take the same size, I know that for sure. Just can't recall if they are C or CF. Thanks again for the info.
    CF used Bay 60. C used Bay 50.

Heliopan does make adapters to mount 67mm thread filters, 72mm thread filters and for 77mm thread filters onto Bay 60 lenses. But they do not make adapters to mount Bay 60 filters onto screw thread mount lenses. One problem doing so would be the filter and adapter combination would be getting pretty thick. So the converted Hasselblad filter could possibly vignette with screw mount lenses, especially when doing camera movements or using wider lenses.

And a darkroom is a whole other story. I think in time I would like something in my house, but in Texas we don't have basements. And upstairs is all carpet. Don't really have an ideal place for one. I know the really really nice thing about the lab downtown is a really long and large sink area. I do understand supplies/equipment are dirt cheap nowadays.

I develop my own black and white at home, so I will need to figure out developing 4x5 (but this is far off...still need the entire kit!)...to which I am sure there is plenty of info on the web.
    OK, so if you are already developing B&W at home it doesn't take much more to process 4x5" B&W sheet film. (Color is another story but it can be done.)

Until recently I was using my bathroom to process my 4x5" B&W film. It had a countertop which gave me just enough room to set up several 106 ounce plastic tubs from my local Dollar Tree store for pre-wash, developer, stop, fix and wash. Then (not by choice) I moved to a different residence and this bathroom countertop is only big enough for the sink + a couple inches on either side. I'm not sure how I'm going to develop film now unless it's in the kitchen but the landlord might not be happy with that.

May I suggest while they are still available on eBay and Craigslist that you look for and buy a dozen or so 4x5" stainless steel sheet film processing racks? They are no longer being made and I have heard horror stories of them being thrown out because "no one wants/uses them any more". Yikes!! You never know if at some point in the future when you get more into 4x5" work that you will want some but can't find any.

Thanks for all the great information. Developing actually seems daunting. Either done in pitch dark until done with fixing, or using a tank method thingy. I will have to do some research on all of this and learn as I go. Same for storing shot negatives, but not yet developed, etc etc. As with anything, there will be a learning curve jumping into 4x5...but I am excited.