Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Choice of "Lightweight" 20x24 cameras....

Re: Choice of "Lightweight" 20x24 cameras....

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    Tri Tran has two Chamonix 20x24 cameras and I have one 16x20. We have a get-together next month and you are welcome to join us and try these cameras. :
    Darn, I will be in Northern Cali for Thanksgiving, I don't think it will work out with the schedule...

Thanks for offering though!

R
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    I'd be concerned about the process itself(especially the reversal process), and having absolute repeatability with the workflow and presentation prior to deciding on a camera and accessories.
    Securing a stash of materials to meet and/or exceed the visioned "needs" down the line, along with materials/products needed for proper display of the finished works.

Just wondering, is there a way of exposing b/w film traditionally, then enlarging onto larger film and processing it out for a "reversal" of the negative in place of using a large(20x24) camera? Say, starting out with an 8x10 negative?

Not heckling, I'm totally supportive of the reversal process idea, but just wanted to ask nonetheless.
    I agree, that is why I am going to play with it for up to a year and then look at the camera. I may get a lens going as a place holder but that is about it.

Nada on the enlarging an 8x10 neg, I don't have the hardware and not likely to get it. Uber worst case is I find I like reversal in 4x5, go to a meet up, shoot someone's 16x20 or larger and then soup that and if it sings, I take the plunge, if too problematic, I pass. Also, even if I do get the whole thing going, I could work with it for 2-5 years, create a body of work and then move on.

Ilford says that FP4 does well in reversal but HP5 does not, that is my starting point for now. So I'll see how that goes first...it looks to be a complex and touchy process to begin with.

Dr5.com says hp5 is their highest volume film:http://www.dr5.com/blackandwhiteslide/hp5dev-1.html for what it's worth. I've only reverse processed fp4 so far myself and I was getting the hang of it when I moved across the country.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Dr5.com says hp5 is their highest volume film:http://www.dr5.com/blackandwhiteslide/hp5dev-1.html for what it's worth.
    It's a different process than dr5, Dave has an informative albeit scathing comparison of his process VS Ilford's in this review. The largest he can do is 11x14. I have had a couple of 30' x 30' landscapes printed on Ilfochrome shot on Techpan 120 souped in dr5, it is rather nice output to say the least.

Ideally I would be able to shoot 4x5 test frames of each take to help put things in my favor, which I would like to do regardless of it being neg or chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    I've only reverse processed fp4 so far myself and I was getting the hang of it when I moved across the country.
    Did you find you were able to get decent D-Max with it?

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

As some of you know I just finished my 2024-1417 camera. I have the reducing back on the camera now because I only have 1417 holders. My camera is 31 lbs and is based on the Chamonix design. It is very stable and I can manage it alone. Now I only have about 34" of bellows as my bellows was free.... hence I built the camera. I would have loved to have another 6", but wouldn't we all..... of bellows. I have no intention of doing close ups with it.

I will be in the Redwoods starting Friday the 17th. Jed Smith, Prairie Creek, and Humboldt and back to So Cal on the 26th. If you wish to take a look at the camera look for me in those areas. I think I'll be hard to miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    I will be in the Redwoods starting Friday the 17th. Jed Smith, Prairie Creek, and Humboldt and back to So Cal on the 26th. If you wish to take a look at the camera look for me in those areas. I think I'll be hard to miss.
    For what it is worth, I will be in Death Valley and then the Eastern Sierra & Yosemite for the month of November. If you, Tri Tran or Hugo are inclined to do some ULF in those areas, I would be happy to meet up.

Come on up Jim, I am a 20 alumni of Ventura County, we could swap all kinds of stories!

I will be in Death Valley Nov. 20-22. Part of of Michael Gordon's workshop there. If you can be in in DV that time, I will bring my 16x20. I plan to shoot my 11x14 camera mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    I will be in Death Valley Nov. 20-22. Part of of Michael Gordon's workshop there. If you can be in in DV that time, I will bring my 16x20. I plan to shoot my 11x14 camera mostly.
    Ding, Ding, Ding! We have a winner, I already planned to stop in and say hi to Michael for sure, I'll email you my details..

I tried some 4x5 reversals with the Photo Formulary kit and really liked them

I would like to try it with my Ritter 20x24 with FP4.

You mentioned in this post that you were considering this. Did you try it? How did they turn out? Any advice?

Look for an Improved Empire State View Camera. They were made around 1910. Owned one of them and they are by far the highest and most compact ULF camera out there in my opinion. Regret selling mine to this day. I owned an 11x14 but have corresponded with a person who had a 20x24 years ago and he just loved it.