Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4x5 camera issue

Re: 4x5 camera issue

All of them are fine!

Since KOH suggested ignoring my comments about graflock backs, I feel a need to expand slightly. I was not arguing that graflock backs are a bad thing, merely that I wouldn't make that feature the limiting issue in my choice of cameras. I've owned a Sinar F, a Wista Field, and now a Canham DLC^2, and in something over 30 years of using Large Format equipment, have never used the graflock feature.

However, KOH is correct about "Polaroid." Actual Polaroid is defunct, except for the brand new and expensive "rebirth" in the form of the New55 project for 4x5; there is a new Polaroid-like 8x10 film as well. They are both designed to be used with "under the glass" holders, for New55, specifically the 545 or 545i holders. The Fuji pack instant films, which need a 405 pack film holder, are still in production, and as KOH said, the 405 holder really works best with a graflock back (it may or may not work at all "under glass" depending on the camera). So if you intend to use the Fuji pack films, yes, your desire for a graflock back is a deal-breaker.

Similarly for 6x7: I merely meant that there are non-graflock alternatives. In fact Sinar, the manufacturer you mention most, made a multi-format roll film holder, as well as single format roll film holders, and they were designed to be used under the ground glass.

Where I thought this was relevant was your comment that you might prefer a folding camera, except they didn't meet your requirements. My point was that in fact some folding cameras did, meaning that you could use a folder with non-pack Polaroid films using an under the ground glass holder, and similarly you could use a folder with 6x7 roll film. Not having KOH's experience, I can't argue that one approach or the other is better, simply that you have options.

Your other requirements, the use of modern lenses, strobe synching, and bright focussing screen don't limit you to one type of camera or another. Bellows extension, which you hint at, is a genuine deal breaker if you expect to use lenses at the extreme short- or long-end of the spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    Actual Polaroid is defunct, except for the brand new and expensive "rebirth" in the form of the New55 project for 4x5; there is a new Polaroid-like 8x10 film as well. They are both designed to be used with "under the glass" holders, for New55, specifically the 545 or 545i holders.
    New55 started selling film?

Randy/Cowan mentioned about usage of fp100c (1/4 plate?) Fuji instants as well with 4x5.

@OP
    I don't know if you have access to the classifieds but there are enough good systems listed there - at quite tempting prices. (you can look up sellers feedback in the feedback forum)

I feel almost the same as when i was getting from analog synths into modular synths..
    This transition between medium and LF. Thanks alot !

I cant see the classifieds yet