Thread: Replacing broken softbox rod?

Replacing broken softbox rod?

My Calument XLarge softbox rod cracked, so I'm down to the single replacement one that came with it. With Calumet out of business, does anyone have suggestions for a replacement?

Re: Replacing broken softbox rod?

Find someone who makes and or repairs fishing rods. They will have blanks of various diameters and flex. You should be able to find a replacement there.

Chimera.com
    Westcott
    Photoflex

If they're fiberglass rods, try McMaster.

They're part fiberglass and part aluminum -- the aluminum part just cracked around the part that goes into the speedring. I wonder if the rods for other brands match?

I've never seen a soft box with fiberglass rods now that I think of it. They're either steel or aluminum. As long as they're the same length, the steel ones should work fine.

Lots of replacement rods through camping stores. Most tents nowadays come with shock corded fiberglass rods, sometimes with the end piece having an aluminum ferule already in place. There are both aftermarket and original manufacturer kits of replacements for those. If you find one that is over long, cut it off and make a new ferule for that end to avoid fraying. Those can be bought at any good fishing store, especially one that has a rod repair service. For that matter, such a repair shop might be able to fabricate the whole thing for you from end to end, but that would be costly.

If you have metal rods, any local metal supply company will almost certainly have the correct diameter material and be able to cut it to length for you as well as smooth the ends. If it has a bend (some do) take an original along so they can duplicate that for you. I had to do this for one of my Larson boxes which had grommets for the aluminum rods to fit into by means of a smaller diameter pin. All that takes is to bore out the end and insert a pin of the right diameter either via a press fit or lock tight. Quick and permanent fix.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

http://www.bowensdirect.com/index.ph...spare-rod.html
    http://voices.suntimes.com/business-...reopen-sunday/

The Wafer is a soft box which uses aluminum / fibreglass composite rods. And Calumet has been reopened

Why not ask Calumet? The new Calumet is open and the old Calumet has re-opened in Chicago with a new name.

Good to know - thanks all.