Thread: affordable 4 x 5" enlargers

affordable 4 x 5" enlargers

Encouraged by the answers to my last question, I would like to post another one: does anybody know about a place from where to get an affordable 4 x 5" enlarger ? I have a tight budget in these days, and the enlarger I am currently using is not working well. (The light is spread unevenly, and I cannot fix it.) So, if th ere are new or used enlargers or kits anywhere, or a recommanded way of building one (although I feel a bit hesitant abut that, having no experience), I would b e grateful for suggestions.

You could probably pick up a used Omega D2 for $150 to $250, depending on condit ion and age. In most cases, the condition is cosmetic. I have purchased one or two in that price range and they work fine. You can even diffuse the condenser s with opal glass or find an available cold light head. Omega made cold lights for them, but there are others available as well. I used my Omega D2 and D2V en largers for many years before moving on to a color head with my D5. Omegas are quite numerous and parts easy to find. They show up frequently at camera shows in the NY,NJ,PA area. Rob

I don't know what you consider affordable, but I recently bought a Beseler 45MXT with condensor head and negative carriers from 35mm to 4x5 glass for $600. Add a cold light head ($200) and a 135 lens ($200 used) and you have an excellent 4x 5 enlarger for $1,000.

I got in a hurry before going to a meeting and forgot to answer your question wi th my earlier post. My point is: look around and don't buy the first enlarger yo u find. Used enlargers are plentiful and cheap. The one I bought for $600 is in mint condition except for a few inconsequential marks on the baseboard.

Check out the classifieds on photo.net, and try some of the reseller links on th e Yahoo photography pages. I bought my enlarger at Keeble & Schuchat in Palo Alt o, CA. I also saw some good deals at Seawood Photo (http://www.seawood.com). Scr ounge around used camera stores in your area and poke around on web sites. You'l l run across the right enlarger in a matter of weeks.

I would like to dissuade anyone from buying a Bessler enlarger. I find the evenn ess of illumination of my 23C Dual Dichro to be very poor, and I have no reason to expect their 4x5's to be any better. In all my years of professional printing in NYC, you can count on one hand the times I came across anything but good ol' Omega D2's and Chromegas, and those exceptions were Dursts, not Besslers.

Peter, I agree the dichroic head on the 23c is not good, but with a cold light h ead the 23c makes an excellent black-and-white enlarger. Ansel Adams used a Bese ler 45 enlarger with cold light, and I haven't heard many complaints about his p hotos. I know several very good professional photographers who use Beseler 45 en largers with dichroic heads. Omega and Durst make excellent enlargers too. The m ain thing is to find one that works the way you want it to work.

To get completly off the subject, if you are talking about true quality in an en larger look no further than the zone 6 for the best in everything !!! no questi ons about it, the quality is far beyond the competition.

I've found the LPL (Saunders in USA) to be great. The best thing is there are dr op in modules for colour, black and white and Variable contrast black and white. The quality of the product seems great too.

You might want to check the online auction site, Ebay. I recently picked up a Beseler 45 MCRX for $300, in very good condition.

I would suggest keeping a close eye on the enlargers being sold at e-bay. I recently bought an Omega D5xl with 3 lenses and neg carriers and a Dicro2 head for less than 400$. When you do a search in e-bay search for "4x5 enlargers"and click on the box you get under it that says search in titles and descriptions.