Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PhotoShop - time to upgrade

Re: PhotoShop - time to upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Did you really need to say that? I'm the only commercial photographer I personally know very well in New Mexico that hasn't filed bankruptcy since 2007 and I only escaped it by the skin of my teeth (I know how to live extremely cheap).
    If things are that tight financially then upgrading software should not even be a consideration.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Light Guru View Post
    First of all Adobe CC software is NOT an "internet version" it gets installed on the local machine just like older versions of photoshop.

If $10 a month is going to put your bank account in the negative then you have bigger things to worry about.

That said your version of Photoshop is not too old so you would probably be fine sticking with it.

The truth is, $10 is not going to matter one way or the other, you are correct. However, I have paid for a lot of things using credit, or a lease, and I am glad to be rid of most of it. It's the principle of thing mostly. I was thinking of ACH, and that happens whether you want it to or not, and you have to remember that it does. As Kirk suggested, I would just pay for annually.

I read somewhere else that they had continued to upgrade the features. However, no one has suggested that any of the features have improved since CS6. I use masking tools and curves, primarily. And of course, the spotting tools. There is nothing wrong with any of them. As always, it would be nice if they continued to improve their capacity to handle large files. Many of my scans get large... onto the many gigabytes.

Thanks.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

In my case, I will be switching from Windows and CS6 to a Mac machine in several months. My only option will be to get the subscription of the Mac version. Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    The truth is, $10 is not going to matter one way or the other, you are correct. However, I have paid for a lot of things using credit, or a lease, and I am glad to be rid of most of it. It's the principle of thing mostly. I was thinking of ACH, and that happens whether you want it to or not, and you have to remember that it does. As Kirk suggested, I would just pay for annually.

I read somewhere else that they had continued to upgrade the features. However, no one has suggested that any of the features have improved since CS6. I use masking tools and curves, primarily. And of course, the spotting tools. There is nothing wrong with any of them. As always, it would be nice if they continued to improve their capacity to handle large files. Many of my scans get large... onto the many gigabytes.

Thanks.

Lenny
    There have been changes and new features but nothing earth shattering.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Light Guru View Post
    If things are that tight financially then upgrading software should not even be a consideration.
    Wow you are really a piece of work.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    In my case, I will be switching from Windows and CS6 to a Mac machine in several months. My only option will be to get the subscription of the Mac version. Oh well...
    With Adobe CC you don't get a Mac version or windows version. You can actually install it on both Mac and windows.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/998899
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

Ansel Adams

Wow you are really a piece of work.
    Wow that was rude.

I have only tried to help with my comments. I have not been trying to be rude or insult. If that's how you read them then that's on you.

How is it rude to say that If someone is having financial difficulties then getting new software should not be a priority.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

Ansel Adams

It extremely arrogant of you to presume that you know anything about what should or shouldn't be my priorities.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

It extremely arrogant of you to presume that you know anything about what should or shouldn't be my priorities.
    There are lots of things that are much higher priority then upgrading software especially when the old version the OP has is only a few years old.

The original post did make it sound like a $10 charge at the wrong time could wipe out his account. If this were true then one really should not be looking at upgrading software.
    He did come back and cleric yes things saying that wasn't literally the case and therefore considering an upgrade would be fine. However like I said there is no earth shattering new fetchers in CC that CS 6 didn't have.

I'm sorry if you felt I was being arrogant and rude that was not my intention. One of the problems with Internet forums is that you cannot read how the other person is speaking more thier body language and those things often play a big part in communication. How about assuming some positive intent on others instead of throwing your own insults.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

Ansel Adams

Well I tried first to respond with some genuine experience about the state of affairs in photography business' and why a few dollars every month might be important, but you came back with the same arrogant pronouncement which you have subsequently repeated yet again above. So yes I felt it was time to call you on it. Since you insist on making such pronouncements without even asking why software upgrades might be important to someone in photography with financial difficulties let me leave you with yet another reason beyond what I said above about productivity.

I teach LR and PS at two universities. I need to know and teach the current version. FWIW I get a free full product line Adobe license from each school, but I'm not sure how much longer I want to teach university classes and the free license will not go with me when I leave so I wanted to make sure I got in on the current subscription deal with LR&PS as it might not still be around when I do leave the universities. Of course Adobe could screw us all and not honor their promise of keeping the cost permanent-so it is rolling the dice a bit.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73: