Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PhotoShop - time to upgrade

PhotoShop - time to upgrade

I am using CS 6, standalone app. Someone asked me today if there is any benefit to signing up for the internet version. I didn't have an answer.

I really don't like having money just sucked out of my account on some specific day. My cash flow goes up and down like a roller coaster. Sometimes all the money to pay for things is there by the 1st and sometimes its the 5th, or 7th, etc. I figure it will link to a card, then I can pay the card on my time, but its the principle of the thing. I'm not sure I would get anything for the annoyance.

Let's be specific: this is just for PhotoShop, don't care about the other apps, and just for use with photography vs design, or other capabilities. I don't care about Camera Raw. Is the upgrade worth it ?

What do you guys and/or gals think?

TIA

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Re: PhotoShop - time to upgrade

I am in a minority here, but I consider $10 a month for Photoshop CS, meaning the subscription model, money well spent.

I upgraded for years starting with 4, now it's like 12 or something. I am saving money.
    Tin Can

Photoshop and light room is together $10/mo and I think that's a deal. I don't know if cs6 has it but the healing tool is real nice for dust or scratches.

Look over what you use your current non subscription PS the most for, Levels, Color balance, Unsharp Mask, Layer Masks, etc
    If you don't need the latest whizz bang that PS has shoe horned in, then stay with your stand alone version,
    I'm using CS3 version ( 10.0.1 ) and it does all that I need for film and digital photography.

Is there something wrong with your current version?
    (pretty sure not)

Preston Birdwell

I am using CS6 and find that it meets my needs. It does have the Healing Brush, Spot Healing Brush, and Patch Tool. One adjustment I've found quite handy is the B&W adjustment layer for converting color scans. One can adjust the tonal values of R,G, B and C, M, Y independently.

I don't use Light Room, so paying $10/mo just for PS-CC would be a stretch. The one, sorta' 'gotcha' is that Adoobie is not adding any of the new features to CS6--they only update for bug fixes and ACR.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Lenny like me makes his living with PS. Any tool that saves even a few seconds makes you money and gets you away from the computer to live a little. I get every upgrade and happily have the subscription. Its cheap compared to what you charge.

Lenny I believe you can pay it for a year in one lump sum. I have the same cash flow issues and generally don't like anything autopay.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    I am using CS 6, standalone app. Someone asked me today if there is any benefit to signing up for the internet version. I didn't have an answer.

I really don't like having money just sucked out of my account on some specific day. My cash flow goes up and down like a roller coaster. Sometimes all the money to pay for things is there by the 1st and sometimes its the 5th, or 7th, etc. I figure it will link to a card, then I can pay the card on my time, but its the principle of the thing. I'm not sure I would get anything for the annoyance.

Let's be specific: this is just for PhotoShop, don't care about the other apps, and just for use with photography vs design, or other capabilities. I don't care about Camera Raw. Is the upgrade worth it ?

What do you guys and/or gals think?

TIA

Lenny
    First of all Adobe CC software is NOT an "internet version" it gets installed on the local machine just like older versions of photoshop.

If $10 a month is going to put your bank account in the negative then you have bigger things to worry about.

That said your version of Photoshop is not too old so you would probably be fine sticking with it.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

If $10 a month is going to put your bank account in the negative then you have bigger things to worry about.
    Did you really need to say that? I'm the only commercial photographer I personally know very well in New Mexico that hasn't filed bankruptcy since 2007 and I only escaped it by the skin of my teeth (I know how to live extremely cheap).
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Has Been LF Photographer

I signed up for the subscription and really like it. I believe they have decided to keep it at $10 per month permanently. I don't allow them to take it out of my account, I let them charge a credit card.