Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
Hi Tim,

Thanks for chiming in!

You're comments are spot on. The Stouffer step wedge was photographed with a 40 year old lens and without a lens shade, but even a modern lens with an application specific lens shade there will still be some flare.

I have a Cezanne, and I agree that scanning at a high resolution, approximately 6000 spi, gives very smooth scans with regards to grain.

Daniel and I haven't done much with the dslr scanners lately, as that's more of a winter activity. After some refinements, we'd be happy to scan some negatives and then send them off to you for a comparison.
Sounds good - I can send you a couple to scan as well (from the Big Camera Comparison test we did)

It seems flare is inevitable - clear parts of the film itself diffuse light slightly and hence cause a 'glow' around dark edges. You get the same with flat bed scanners too (but only in one dimension). My Fuji Lanovia is stunning at getting shadow detail out of chromes but ruined by flare causing variations in dmax across a frame that are really hard to even out.

Tim