Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering 16x20 camera for landscapes, what lens ( Not Fine Art XXL )

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Considering 16x20 camera for landscapes, what lens ( Not Fine Art XXL )

I am looking at getting a 16x20 camera going in 1-3 years so I am trying to layout the costs. I have the prices in mind for the Chamonix 16x20 ( or 14x17) and a few holders but the lens is what is getting me. Schnieder has already discontinued the modern and super expensive XXL Fine Art series so what does that leave me for a good sharp landscape lens that will give me infinity and decent movements?

I am not really interested in soft focus or portrait work, just landscapes and for this particular project would prefer a lens that is roughly equal to something in-between a 35-50mm in 35mm format.

Like I said, I am just now getting to thinking about it so I have time to sort it out and create a budget so is there anything stellar for $2K or less?

Re: Considering 16x20 camera for landscapes, what lens ( Not Fine Art XXL )

I imagine that would be about a 600mm lens. But the 24" RD Artar may not cover, being basically a narrow-angled process lens.

I have a 600mm Apo-Ronar that I am looking to sell, but it is also a process lens (no shutter), it might cover, but I believe it is only really good up to 12x20. Also it is big and weighs a good amount! A 30" RD Artar might cover 16x20, but longer than you are looking for and we are starting to get the bellows way out there!

Good luck! PS -- you do not really need a "stellar" lens, as there will be no enlargement.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I do believe a Fujinon 600C will cover 16x20 and I think that's pretty close to normal focal length... I use it on my 14x17 with movements. You can probably still find one out there.

What about the 450mm f/9 Nikon M? I've seen comments that it will cover 20x24 when stopped down to f/64, but I don't know its official coverage numbers. It would be about the right focal length on the 14x17. It's a very nice lens on smaller formats, but I have no experience with it on anything approaching 16x20.

The other one to come to mind is the Fuji 600mm f/11.5 C. It might not cover 16x20, but 14x17 should be doable with 620mm of coverage.
    Last edited by Larry Gebhardt; 2-Oct-2014 at 14:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gebhardt View Post
    What about the 450mm f/9 Nikon M? I've seen comments that it will cover 20x24 when stopped down to f/64, but I don't know its official coverage numbers. It would be about the right focal length on the 14x17. It's a very nice lens on smaller formats, but I have no experience with it on anything approaching 16x20.

The other one to come to mind is the Fuji 600mm f/11.5 C. It might not cover 16x20, but 14x17 should be doable with 620mm of coverage.
    So far as I know the 450 f/9 Nikkor M is the only reasonable option for a lens with medium to normal angle coverage. There are some old Protar Series IV and/or V lens in 460mm - 480mm that might cover, but these lenses are very expensive and hard to focus at their maximum aperture of f/11 or f/18, and would cost way more than the 450 Nikkor.

I am pretty sure the 450 Nikkor M would work fine on 16X20. On 12X20 it covers with several inches of useful movements, and it even covers 20X24 well for contact printing with the lens stopped way down. Really a splendid lens, and one that would be my first choice of all possible lenses for any format between 11X14 and 16X20.

The 600 mm Fujinon C would also cover 20X24 stopped down, but I found it to be less sharp with this format on the corners than the 450mm M.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Thanks folks, I figured the Fuji 600 C & some process lenses might come up, a fuji just sold here not long ago. This is still a ways out, I have to figure out the other part of the equation, can I tray develop black and white reversal...:-)

I have an RD Gray No. 8 Periscope. It's a 21" (533mm) lens that covers 11x14 wide open and, if the literature is to be believed, 20x24 at small apertures. It is very sharp stopped down, but is an older rapid rectilinear design and not a modern plasmat if that's what you prefer. It is not very big or heavy which is easier on your camera's front standard, although you have to be willing to live with f/15 as your maximum aperture. I've only used mine with 8x10, however, and can't speak to the larger coverage with any certainty.

Sounds like you've got the budget for something more modern and in a shutter, but I thought I would mention this lens since it isn't often written about. There may be other RRs of the period in this FL--and Dagors, too--that would do equally well.

Jonathan

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I'll check the coverage of my 24' and 30" Artar on my soon to be finished 2024 camera. I'll take the reducing back off and check it on the 2024 GG. Give me some time as I am in the final stages of the build.

I will throw in this lens when you order your 16x20 camera if it is not sold by then.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...38#post1139338

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    I will throw in this lens when you order your 16x20 camera if it is not sold by then.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...38#post1139338
    Tin Can