Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: LF Clarification

Re: LF Clarification

The bottom line is this forum allows discussion of all format. Quite ironic really, it's just about which sub-forum you post in. I don't have a problem with that but there's very blurred edges and it needs give and take from members and moderators.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    Hmm...

Your thirteen-year-old daughter asks about "rules" for dating. You give her requested rules but also tell her those rules are all highly malleable and have no consequences. Nine months later.....
    my God, does this mean if I post a 35mm picture in an LF image forum, someone will get pregnant?

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    Hmm...

Your thirteen-year-old daughter asks about "rules" for dating. You give her requested rules but also tell her those rules are all highly malleable and have no consequences. Nine months later.....
    Your post would be an excellent rebuttal if I was saying "no rules for anything!"

I am not however. I am just asking if people think we needed this particular rule.

The purpose of rules is obviously to prevent unwanted consequences, as you point out.

The question I'm asking, is are the consequences this particular rule prevents actually a bad consequence? If they are, is it worse than the additional consequences the existence of the rule bring into being?

The fact that a rule is needed or appropriate in one situation is an extremely poor argument for the idea that any rule must therefore be good.

Quote Originally Posted by pdh View Post
    my God, does this mean if I post a 35mm picture in an LF image forum, someone will get pregnant?
    Wish I'd seen this before I posted.

Its a much better reply than mine was.

And I might have added:

"Yes it does. And if you post a shot from an iphone she'll have twins!"

Yes, and advise your young daughters to keep their shutters closed and never overexpose. They don't want anything getting past those apertures before the appropriate time for exposure and development.

Really, the whole concept of this forum from its conception is all about LARGE FORMAT photography. And APUG... is all about ANALOG photography. Both of these forums guard and moderate those concepts appropriately. Otherwise, EVERYONE'S daughters will become pregnant from total lack of respect for the RULES.

LF Clarification

With respect to my colleague, this has already been deeply discussed and a matter of much debate, with the general membership and among several combinations of moderators. We needed the rule because lacking it was causing forum drift that was being aggressively promoted or bitterly resisted by some. The notion that we didn't need this clarification defies what we were experiencing at the time, and have not experienced since to nearly the same degree. Let's not relitigate it.

Rick "not noticing a desire by the mods here to make new rules without need" Denney

True statement! Someone is getting pregnant RIGHT NOW, and NOW, NOW, NOW... so whatever you do, someone will get pregnant.

This is a Large Format photo forum... always was... always will be. Check the web address if you don't believe me.

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    With respect to my colleague, this has already been deeply discussed and a matter of much debate, with the general membership and among several combinations of moderators. We needed the rule because lacking it was causing forum drift that was being aggressively promoted or bitterly resisted by some. The notion that we didn't need this clarification defies what we were experiencing at the time, and have not experienced since to nearly the same degree. Let's not relitigate it.

Rick "not noticing a desire by the mods here to make new rules without need" Denney
    Agreed. This ship has sailed and we are in the fair wind IMHO.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Re: Upcoming changes in the FS/WTB forum, Part II (*Closed Thread).

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...-Part-II/page3

>> Sounds like it's time to take all the round II comments back to the bat-cave, make sure we've fully digested them, and then report back the plan. Thanks, and stay tuned (26-Jul-2015, 01:24).
    ___

Question:

Since this Thread is also speaking about 'LF Clarification'...

I was just wondering...
    Are Batman and Robin still all 'Huddled Up' in the Batcave -- Three (3) Months later?

Or... Did I perhaps just miss the 'Updated' Plan?
    Thank-you! Just curious...

Best regards, -Tim.