Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Things to see between Royalton, VT and Boston

Re: Things to see between Royalton, VT and Boston

Leaf peepers galore. Plan ahead.

If you are going this weekend, full foliage watch for leaf peepers. But the scenery should be gorgeous. White Mountains are a little out of the way 50 or so miles on Rt2, a wide road but still can get slow. In Vermont check out Woodstock, a tourist town but pretty. There is a sculpture fest right outside of town, on 2 farms, nice place to walk. Several good places to eat in Woodstock, can get pricy. If you go down 107, then go south on 100, will skirt the Green Mountains, and get you to Rt 4 by Killington and Pico ski areas, then east to Woodstock. Depends on time, Vermont is great this time of year.

I like the old cemeteries in Boston. There's always the Concord battlefield and the North End. My son likes Grotto and Daily Catch (restaurants) in Boston.

I don't much like the Legal Seafood chain as a general rule, but the new one in South Boston (270 Northern Ave) is quite good, as is Atlantic Fish Co. (761 Boylston St) near Copley Sq. Speaking of which, Trinity church in Copley Sq is quite interesting. The North End has been thoroughly Yuppified by now - used to be hardly anyone spoke English, just Italian. Gloucester/Rockport/Marblehead are good as well if you like ocean views. Lots of old cemeteries scattered about everywhere in New England. Beacon Hill is architecturally fascinating, Harvard and MIT also.

One of the things I love about Boston is how fundamentally GPS unfriendly it is!