Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Film Ferrania: 100 More Years of Analog Film

Re: Film Ferrania: 100 More Years of Analog Film

Well they are $3,000 away from their goal with 17 days left ...even though I don't shoot slide film it's good to see new film products come to the market

+1 on deval's post

PS. hoffner, you're kind of negative man...Ferrania film may never be as good as Fuji when it comes to slide film but personally I'm excited to see a new film product come to the market. Whether the results are good or bad it looks like people are supporting it and to me that's a positive thing. I may never shoot what Ferrania makes but think of all those "lomo" and hobbyist film shooters... they aren't just helping support a new film stock but also labs that still process e6.

Quote Originally Posted by axs810 View Post

PS. hoffner, you're kind of negative man...Ferrania film may never be as good as Fuji when it comes to slide film but personally I'm excited to see a new film product come to the market. Whether the results are good or bad it looks like people are supporting it and to me that's a positive thing. I may never shoot what Ferrania makes but think of all those "lomo" and hobbyist film shooters... they aren't just helping support a new film stock but also labs that still process e6.
    Well, axs810,
    chances are I just know more than you do. I lived in Italy, I speak the language and I follow daily and closely its economical and political situation. So unlike you I know that at the present time, there is 40 % unemployment among the young generation. Easy for them to want to dream. And at 12 % general unemployment in the country it's even easier. The fact that any Italian bank didn't find it reasonable to invest 250 000$ in this project says a lot about their chances.

While you're simply "excited" don't forget that three factories they need to have for their film production, will not pay salaries because you're excited but because the film will be sold. An awful plenty of it. While "you may never shoot Ferrania" they will need those who will shoot it. And to base their economy on future sales for today's film industry, in the time that digital filming takes over, is really just that - dreaming. That such dreaming excites you, let it be so. Do you think the old, now closed Ferrania factory, did not dream enough? Then dream even more.

Gosh, high unemployment? I guess I can see why we shouldn't invest in new business?!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Gosh, high unemployment? I guess I can see why we shouldn't invest in new business?!
    Maybe, just maybe, what you don't see is why we shouldn't invest in old crashed business in contemporary Italian industrial environment. With a hope of 100 more years of - the crashed business.

Maybe you're a curmudgeon? Don't you have anything else to do?
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

It's difficult to put into words just how much pain I feel when having to agree with hoffner.

Quote Originally Posted by hoffner View Post
    Well, axs810,
    chances are I just know more than you do. I lived in Italy, I speak the language and I follow daily and closely its economical and political situation. So unlike you I know that at the present time, there is 40 % unemployment among the young generation. Easy for them to want to dream. And at 12 % general unemployment in the country it's even easier. The fact that any Italian bank didn't find it reasonable to invest 250 000$ in this project says a lot about their chances.

While you're simply "excited" don't forget that three factories they need to have for their film production, will not pay salaries because you're excited but because the film will be sold. An awful plenty of it. While "you may never shoot Ferrania" they will need those who will shoot it. And to base their economy on future sales for today's film industry, in the time that digital filming takes over, is really just that - dreaming. That such dreaming excites you, let it be so. Do you think the old, now closed Ferrania factory, did not dream enough? Then dream even more.

Hoffner, I wouldn't doubt a lot of people know more than I do. I'm just saying that when polaroid closed people thought that was over but then the impossible project came along. Again while I'm not using anything made by impossible project (I did buy a few packs to support it though) there are many many people who do support and buy from impossible project even though the quality may never be as good as the original polaroid. Heck even read up on the history of Lomography...that's a company that flabbergasts me. The pessimist in my would have expected that little niche market to die quickly but it didn't and there's still a pretty high demand for their products (to my knowledge)

I would recommend re-watching their kickstarter video...I believe they aren't running all three factories but are taking parts to keep a smaller factory running at a reasonable price. In my honest opinion, I'm just hoping this too becomes a little niche for amateurs all over the world who shoot film...not exactly for the sake of the life of film but for the labs that process film especially e6.

It wasn't the pessimists who saw years of BTDT that made flight possible or spaceflight possible(among many many other things)
    It was the optimists.

And re pessimism on a new film project - it serves well if you're on digital forum saying 'film sucks'.

Btw, if the comments on scotch chrome here are anything to go by - it would seem something that would wildly be popular for lomographers -and that, as we know now, is a very viable, young and *growing* market.

And its kickass that they got funded.
    Anyone knows when the funds will be collected/charged to the bill?

Quote Originally Posted by hoffner View Post
    Well, axs810,

This is amazing, and sounds like fairly typical European babble. Who said they did not approach a bank and got funding for a 1M$ project, but decided that Kickstarter, is a free market research tool, which can easily determine the existence (or lack thereof) and size of a market, for any specific product, not yet in existence, without risking even a single dollar. Using kickstarter is not a sign that someone is lacking funding, or has no other source of revenue, it really does not mean a thing. In most high number cases, its purely promotional (see lomo/music projects) and pre sale platform for products before they are even produced. The cost saving here is immense, and offers any manufacturer huge benefits not available in the traditional financial world, about with you read daily and follow so diligently.

We live in the age of information, where there are no borders, no national unemployment rates, but only dollar signs (you need to watch "network"). In this world, the digital transition has already happened, by far and large, in all aspects and avenues except in some backwards 3rd world countries such as where NFL is filmed, and even there - they have recently announced that is in the past.

The new market base for traditional photographic products is no longer in major commercial and business clients, yet in its new model, of small, sustainable custom made production capacity - it is thriving, money is being made, and companies (especially in Europe, but some smaller scale in the US as well), are catering to those markets, offering a large variety, which is larger then before, though not as varied as it once perhaps was. And that does not say a thing about the growth prospects of this fairly minor industry, but from my perspective the growth and revenue to be made, should have banks banging on Ferranias door asking to take part in what might be a major job/tax/revenue maker for all involved. So far - the local government has helped and invested heavily and they are not being charitable.

Kodak anf Fuji are companies which have nothing to do with film anymore, and their business model has no place in our economy any longer. Models like the one Ferania is offering, along with Rollei/new Agfa/LOMO/ADOX etc., are purely designed to be sustainable on a no MOQ basis, which is why they can survive, make money and grow.

+1

(whats MOQ expand to, btw?)