Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What light meter should I get?

Re: What light meter should I get?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    With light meters, it's not so much which meter you use as it is to understanding the meter you are using.

Does that make sense?
    Yes, indeed. Many of the iconic photographs over the past 175 years were made with primitive or no light meters. For years I used a basic incident selenium cell meter with studio lights that had modeling lamps which tracked the flash output. A flash meter should be more accurate and is certainly more convenient. Old selenium cell meters still do well enough for most outdoor photography. To apply the Zone System and for very precise exposure of chromes, a more sophisticated meter is worthwhile.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Johnson View Post
    No, I think the Sekonics especially suffer from feature creep, too tiny and obscure controls, and flawed user interface. Lots of intelligent people can make do but since we have better choices why put up with one?
    This kind of diversity of opinion and experience is why we are still blessed by having multiple meter manufacturers/models. Everyone needs to choose the equipment that meets their needs and aptitude.

Get the Luna Pro SBC for sale on this forum. Probably the most reliable meter ever built and it uses a regular 9 volt battery. NO, I don't even know the seller.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Get the Luna Pro SBC for sale on this forum. Probably the most reliable meter ever built and it uses a regular 9 volt battery. NO, I don't even know the seller.

it's a nice meter..but it is not a flash meter- which is what the poster needs

My son has the new 758r, quite the spiffy. I'm still using a 508 that was the second one ever sold at glazers. ( now about $300.00 at KEH ) I don't see any need to get the new one. Mine has a zoom spot the new one doesn't. New one has display in finder for spot meter, mine doesn't. If your thinking about that as a time factor why are you doing a glacier slow process like LF. If it's not too dim you can use the ground glass as a meter. New one does cine, now that would be a reason to upgrade. I had a luna-pro SBC before the 508, great meter but I wouldn't trade back. I also had 3 different spot meters and still would chose my 508.

I have a Sekonic L-308S FlashMate for incident and flash meterings and a Pentax Spotmeter V and I've never felt like I've needed anything else.

Price of the two might be similar to a nicer meter that can do both jobs, but I bought them years apart and don't desire a different meter.
    I'm armed with a Wisner 4x5 Technical Field and a lot of hope. I got this. Oh, and my name's Andrew.

I bought a Sekonic L-758DR 6 years ago before i knew how to use it. I figured I would grow into it. May as well buy the best. Buy once, not twice.

I do not regret buying it whatsoever, except I should not have bought the 'R' for remote as it only works with Pocket Wizards and I chose a different remote flash system. I have to plug my flash remote into the meter to trigger the flash. Not a problem.

There now is a newer model and this 'old' model may be available NOS for less than before.

It has many functions, but is actually simple to use for basic spot and incident functions immediately.

As Sergei says, it is also tunable to match 3 different cameras. I even did that once. It's a process.

BTW light meters seldom exactly agree...always a fudge factor.

And I primarily use it with studio portrait strobes. I never use it outside.
    Tin Can