Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Member from New Mexico, but not new to Large Format

Re: New Member from New Mexico, but not new to Large Format

Tim:

Welcome to the Forum. Compared to you and other members, I'm a rookie - I've only been using 4x5 gear for the last 4 years. I'm certain that you will provide all of us with many insights based on your experience.

Kirk and Jan:

Now that the cat's out of the bag, I am very interested in attending a workshop in NW New Mexico. I've always wanted to take photographs in the area and just never got around to doing it. A workshop would be ideal to get a feel for the region. Please keep all the members posted on your progress.

Dave Held

Dave, thanks for the greeting. I assume you're in New Mexico as well. Don't call yourself a rookie. Someone who has taken the time to learn Large Format is a special breed of photographer. I've started with 4x5 when I was 18 years old. For me I learned the craft and technical stuff first, then concentrated on the Art. For me I'm not a pretty picture photographer, but more of a documentary image maker. I have been around many photographers who were all technical and scientific about how they worked. Ansel Adams was that way. He was a master photographer who was part scientist in his method. He was always amazed how his friend Edward Weston managed to get incredible images without any of the visible means Adams employed. It seems Weston learned from trial and error and worked via experience and instinct. I have done Large Format for 36 years and I have yet to take a workshop. I think attending one would be fun!

Tim,

Thanks for the kind words. Although I love New Mexico, I live outside Denver. My wife and I try to get to Santa Fe and vicinity a couple of times a year.

Believe me, I am a rank amateur. I started my photographic endeavors about 46 years ago with a PX purchased Yashica Electro 35. I pretty much stopped even attempting to try to improve my methods, etc. for about 40 years. I stuck pretty much with 35mm until I retired and tried medium format. Finally, several years back, I decided to learn what I was doing and took a photo course at a local community college and I was hooked. I've been attending classes ever since. Bought my first 4x5 and then another and another - it seems that I'm a sucker for a deal. I really love using the 4x5s, but I need to improve.

New Mexico's landscape fascinates me. I hope to further explore its features. So far its only been in the Santa Fe area, but I hope to expand my horizons. That's why I'm interested in a workshop with Kirk and Jan - I hope that they decide to do it. For me, attending would be an invaluable learning experience and, yes, fun.

Dave

Welcome. The more actives the better!
    Tin Can

Welcome aboard!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by dtheld View Post
    Tim:

Kirk and Jan:

Now that the cat's out of the bag, I am very interested in attending a workshop in NW New Mexico. I've always wanted to take photographs in the area and just never got around to doing it. A workshop would be ideal to get a feel for the region. Please keep all the members posted on your progress.

Dave Held
    Tim thanks for your interest in our possible upcoming workshop next fall. We have a lot of thinking and prep to do for it as yet but Jan and I are enthusiastic about its potential. We will definitely keep everyone posted.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Blomquist View Post
    Jan,

Thanks for the greeting. Bisti Badlands sounds good. You have to realize right now I'm shooting with both 8x10 and 4x5 Sinar monorail cameras. In fact I sold my Wisner Technical Field a month ago so I am sans lightweight easily transportable cameras. This week I have been mounting my lenses on Sinar boards from their former wooden counterparts. I am trying to figure out the best way to carry my gear into the Badlands once past that little fence. As you probably know, it doesn't get interesting until you hike a while back to the east and southeast from the entrance. My 15 year old son wants a dog and he recommended a large canine as a possible pack animal... I would be in hot water with the PETA people in short order.
    I understand completely. I have relatively lightweight field kit based on a Phillips 4x5 at about 26 pds-less the tripod. Hiking into the Bisti last year convinced me that the most cost effective way to shed some weight was.........(drum roll).....for me to lose weight. I am down 18 lbs and working towards 30 to cover the weight of my kit.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I was out today with the Sinar P 8x10, with heavy duty rear standard, sporting the 150mm Nikkor SW, and a Schneider G-Claron 240mm. The location is a Navajo Indian Cemetery on the edge of my town. The photo of me is courtesy of my wife. Just goes to show you that a Sinar P can be used as field camera.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	timothy_blomquist_small.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	123584
    Last edited by Timothy Blomquist; 19-Oct-2014 at 19:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I understand completely. I have relatively lightweight field kit based on a Phillips 4x5 at about 26 pds-less the tripod. Hiking into the Bisti last year convinced me that the most cost effective way to shed some weight was.........(drum roll).....for me to lose weight. I am down 18 lbs and working towards 30 to cover the weight of my kit.
    Great news Kirk! I am down 50 lbs from 3 years ago. I bought new clothes.

When I was 120 lbs, my motorcycle was always much faster than others.
    Tin Can