Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: New Epson V800, V850 flatbed scanners

Re: New Epson V800, V850 flatbed scanners

Lordy, I'm still using an Epson Perfection 2450 scanner. I get decent 16x20 prints from 4x5 on that.

Hi guys

I have an Epson V800 especially for 4x5 negatives and ...I don't understand how the negative should be installed in holder. See the holder picture attached. Should the film be placed OVER the sides "A" ? I did so and on the scanned file the long sides of the scanning file have light spill...

4x5 holder

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	holder - poza.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	127804

scanned picture

Name:	sample-3.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	127805

thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by cristimirica View Post
    Hi guys

I have an Epson V800 especially for 4x5 negatives and ...I don't understand how the negative should be installed in holder. See the holder picture attached. Should the film be placed OVER the sides "A" ? I did so and on the scanned file the long sides of the scanning file have light spill...

4x5 holder

scanned picture

thanks !
    I don't think ANYONE has the new v800 except you so this will be hard to answer and you're going to get a lot of guesses.

I can't even tell what's there, is there a plastic diffusion panel (That would be pretty cool!) included with each holder?

Are you SURE there isn't light leak that's in the actual sheet of film?

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I don't think ANYONE has the new v800 except you so this will be hard to answer and you're going to get a lot of guesses.

I can't even tell what's there, is there a plastic diffusion panel (That would be pretty cool!) included with each holder?

Are you SURE there isn't light leak that's in the actual sheet of film?
    No, the film is OK. Light leak is due bad fit on the holder. Maybe there is somebody around who use the same equipment.

Thank you

It wouldn't surprise me if the holder was the wrong size. There is a discussion over on Flickr about the 120 holders being the wrong size.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/isf_sc...7650014822972/

great info, thank you

has anyone else had issue or new finding about the v800 film holders?

Hi guys

4x5 holder

scanned picture

thanks !
    Can't help with the light spill, haven't experienced that myself. However you are supposed to put the film over the sides, the idea behind it is that the film is pulled tight for an accurate scan with no parts of the image being out of focus as a result of drooping. The anti-newton diffusion screen tends to help with this too. To me it looks like you've bent the film to make it fit, rather than placing the film in the cartridge properly?

Quote Originally Posted by mijosc View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if the holder was the wrong size. There is a discussion over on Flickr about the 120 holders being the wrong size.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/isf_sc...7650014822972/
    This guy is loading the film wrong!
    cristimirica if you've loaded the 5x4 like this that's why you're getting problems with your scan. These guides are not intended to scan the unexposed parts of the film, they pull on the film to keep it tight and give an accurate scan. If you want all of the film you'd have to get two anti newton glass plates to put your film between. The epson holders are the best way to scan without having to resort to wet scanning.

Also as a side note, the V750 and the V850 come with fluid mount kits in the US which you can claim in the UK if you send Epson an email about it. They are available for £90 from Epson but the chemicals and mylar sheets are near impossible to find for a decent price here.

Hi guys

scanned picture

thanks !
    The excess density along the top edge (sky) of the film looks more like a processing problem rather than a scanning issue.