Thread: Canberra next week

retrogrouchy

Canberra next week

I have a daytrip to Canberra for work purposes next Tuesday and will be free for about three hours in the morning. Any recommendations as to where I might schlep the 4x5 system? Will be on my own and have a rental car.

Re: Canberra next week

Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    I have a daytrip to Canberra for work purposes next Tuesday and will be free for about three hours in the morning. Any recommendations as to where I might schlep the 4x5 system? Will be on my own and have a rental car.
    I'd do the grounds of the National Gallery of Australia and environs. There's big and small outdoor sculpture, big deciduous trees, glimpses of Lake Burley-Griffin, and fancy architectural forms. And the best part is a security guard told me it's forbidden to photograph in the gallery but everything outside is freely available for the camera. Then again Australia is in a security panic about homegrown ISIL operatives. A guy with a big camera on a tripod could attract misguided attention!
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

retrogrouchy

thanks, I'll have a look.

Is it worth getting up on one of the neighboring mountains?

I'm not sure about the mountains in Canberra. Mount Majura and Mount Ainslie are both drive-ups with the usual views; you see a lot, it's far away, everything looks small. The Telstra Tower on Black Mountain is is a grand (gross?) architectural spire with look-outs accessible at several levels after you pay the admission fee to go up in the elevator. I don't know what the tripod policy is but last time I was there the trend was innumerable selfies by telephone camera.

An evocative, slightly spooky, ground-level alternative is the Cork Oak Forest at the National Arboretum. I'm doing it on 8x10 next time I'm in Canberra.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

retrogrouchy

cheers; that should keep me entertained for a couple hours!