Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 75 Zeiss Biogon mil. surplus barrel lens - sketch for mounting into Copal 1 shutter

75 Zeiss Biogon mil. surplus barrel lens - sketch for mounting into Copal 1 shutter

I had a military-surplus 75mm Zeiss Biogon barrel lens that I wanted to mount into a shutter. I borrowed a converted lens and made the attached sketches in case anybody wants to do this. After having the machining done, I can confirm that everything fits as it should.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 75 Biogon barrel lens into shutter mod p1.pdf   75 Biogon barrel lens into shutter mod p2.pdf  
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

Re: 75 Zeiss Biogon mil. surplus barrel lens - sketch for mounting into Copal 1 shutt

Would you post some pictures of it finished?

Re: 75 Zeiss Biogon mil. surplus barrel lens - sketch for mounting into Copal 1 shutt

A man called schneider should never use Carl Zeiss!

Quote Originally Posted by ruilourosa View Post
    A man called schneider should never use Carl Zeiss!
    Sometimes love just ain't enough.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pierre506/sets/

Very interesting. Thank you.

A very minor contribution: with my similar conversion of a physically larger 3" Biogon (covers 5x5"), there is a spacer in front of the shutter which allowed final fine machining to suit lens spacing. You can barely see it in the photo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	super-biogon-3-inch.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	121944

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    A very minor contribution: with my similar conversion of a physically larger 3" Biogon (covers 5x5"), there is a spacer in front of the shutter which allowed final fine machining to suit lens spacing. You can barely see it in the photo.
    Very nice to see! I used to have two of these lenses (from KS-87B aerial cameras; mine were by Pacific Optical) but could never figure out how to easily mount it into a shutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Boscoe View Post
    Would you post some pictures of it finished?
    Regarding the conversion of the Zeiss 75mm lens (from the KS-71 aerial camera), here are some pics. The rear barrel (R) is machined to mate to a Copal 1 shutter, and the front barrel (L) uses the adapter to mate to the shutter. The tape on the front glass is to protect it while I have a custom lenscap made.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_7852s.jpg   IMG_7853s.jpg   IMG_7854s.jpg  
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

More details. Left pic: the front element is on the left, rear barrel to the right, with the adapter for the front barrel in between.
    ..................Center pic: detail of the rear barrel after machining to mate to a Copal shutter.
    ..................Right pic: detail of front barrel (not modified for the conversion), and showing interior of adapter for front barrel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_7849s.jpg   IMG_7850s.jpg   IMG_7851s.jpg  
    -Francis Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by John Schneider View Post
    The rear barrel (R) is machined to mate to a Copal 1 shutter
    That is very cool. The #5 shutter I use has become unreliable. In fact, I now have two broken #5s.

What kind of picture quality do you get from this John? Cheers

75 Zeiss Biogon mil. surplus barrel lens - sketch for mounting into Copal 1 shutter

I’ve been trying something similar, albeit in plastic: 3-D printing an adapter for 3” Goerz Hycon cells, which I picked up unused 15 years ago. This is my first version for a #3 shutter. I’d rather do it in metal, but I am making do with what I have.

Last edited by Jason Greenberg Motamedi; 16-May-2020 at 00:12.