Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replicating a warm tone paper look

Replicating a warm tone paper look

Greetings all,

I have a negative that I dearly wanted to print optically, but unfortunately there were a lot of scratches on it, which really didn't want to have to touch up. I have decided instead to scan, fix in Photo shop and then have the print done by a local professional shop. I am yet to decide whether I am going to have it printed chemically or via inkjet (this place does both).

What I want to do, though, is try to replicate a very subtle warm tone look, similar to if I was using Ilford Warm Tone photographic papers. If I print chemically, I am quite restricted in what papers I could use, so I am thinking that it might be easier if I try and do this at the file level.

I have seen a few efforts of this done in the past, but to me, often the results are that the whites are still white, not that subtle cream that I would expect.

Does anyone have any methods/advice on how to achieve this using Photoshop?

Cheers

*Disclaimer time - yes, this is a miniature format negative - I figured I would ask hear, as frankly, its not allowed on APUG....

Re: Replicating a warm tone paper look

Get to know the duotone function.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

You might find this article helpful: http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/tech/bronze.php

Thanks Ken. That looks exactly what I am after!

Have the computer shop make a large format negative of your 'photoshopped' digital file, then print the negative as you usually would.

That Fill Layer looks like a good way to go, reducing opacity to vary affect. I've traditionally done the same thing with an HSL adjustment layer.

ie...

Alternately, most of the new high end printers from Epson and Canon have a black and white mode for printing with just the grey inks. When you use that mode, you can also shift the hue in the print dialog. I have been doing this lately and it produces a more monochrome (toned) image.

Are there any silver papers still around that match the feel of Agfa Portriga? Man, I miss that paper!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Barrett View Post

Are there any silver papers still around that match the feel of Agfa Portriga? Man, I miss that paper!
    Me too, and Record Rapid that was so subtle and toned so delicately with Eastman Kodak Selenium...

RR

"Are there any silver papers still around that match the feel of Agfa Portriga? Man, I miss that paper!"

Not since they took all the cadmium out of photographic products.

One foreseeable issue with printing with OEM inks is longevity. When we print by mixing a variety of inks, there is a likelihood of them fading at different rates, causing color shift over time. This has been studied and documented at Aardenburg Imaging.

While we can't be certain about longevity, I have found a small measure of solace in making warm-toned inkjet prints using carbon pigments on 100% rag paper. The Eboni hextone ink set gives a nice look which varies with choice of paper.

your choices would be made much more clear by deciding first what form you want your final to be.. a chemical print like a digital type C, or and inkjet print. If an inkjet print, then what sort of surface- fine art matte or a photo surface?
    Each of these has different options, some overlap, but it would be best to start there and work backwards.