Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replicating a warm tone paper look

Re: Replicating a warm tone paper look

More then likely, I will go with a C type print with a pearl/semi gloss finish.

Another option you have available is a digital silver print. I know at least one of the providers for that offers a toning option... you could probably get more control with toning in P'shop to a C-Print, but the silver prints will give you greater permanence, they can even do fiber base, which I'v been dying to try.

Here's a link to one place (I've no experience with them). I believe someone on the forum may provide these services as well.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

For an ink print, I'd do it through quadtone rip (create a custom color curve).

If that's too much work, I'd create a hue/saturation/brightness adjustment layer and click the colorize option. Move the hue slider to pick the color, and then dial back the saturation for the final look. The closest things to my toned prints on the old Portriga or on Fortezo is a hue in the neighborhood of 33, dialed back to somewhere between 4 and 7% saturation.

If you also want to do filter effects on the black and white conversion, you can do this with the channel mixer.

There's an adjustment layer called Black and White which combines both these functions, but I find it less straightforward to use.

These tools are compatible with 16 bit mode, are non-destructive, and provide instant feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    More then likely, I will go with a C type print with a pearl/semi gloss finish.
    Since it will be a color print, you'll have to try various methods of getting the color you want into the file, as others have noted. This might include adding an extremely light hue to the base whites, people have mentioned Portriga, it's base was actually a very slight pink. There are a number of ways to do this, I prefer a curve. Some techniques over complicate things. Your real challenge will be getting exactly what you want back from the LAB. If your monitor is not well calibrated, or their process not exacting, those carefully selected near neutral warms might be a bit of a crap shoot.
    Paper and/or ink options don't apply here, since it's a type C. There may be toning and/or paper options if you went with a digital to silver output. Bob Carne who posts here often knows these processes well and offers them at-
    http://www.elevatordigital.ca/
    He would be well worth talking to

OK, I have had a play.

Before (warts and all)
    NotToned by Ashley The Hoff, on Flickr

After (including the spotting and de-scratching)
    Toned by Ashley The Hoff, on Flickr

This is what I have done.
    To get a reference colour, I scanned in an existing Warm Tone print with my 18% Grey card behind it. In PS I set my mid grey point from the grey card and got a colour sample from the image border. IN RGB terms, this came out as 247,247,237 (or around that).

I have then gone to work on the image - Set to 16 bit colour, fixed the damn scratches and dust (I had already fixed most of the scratches many months ago). I also patched a small section of the sky that was totally blown out.
    I then applied a Solid Colour Fill layer and set those RGB levels. I then set the opacity back to around 30%.

My plan is to now take it into the shop and get an 8x10 done, just to see how it comes up.

Cheers