Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "Is photography over?" A short article

Re: "Is photography over?" A short article

Yep and looked at image yesterday, printed in book...

Then I bought 2 more old Karsh books.

Now I have 2 of her by Karsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Photography has been "over" since Karsh photographed Audrey Hepburn. Nothing worthwhile has been done since. Maybe nothing before, either...
    Tin Can

Drew, what you seem to be critical about potential with large pixel screens is selling digital images so they can be displayed. Thus larger and sort of a more sophisticated version of consumer digital photo frames. Toys that show as much detail as a stack of 3x5 color prints from the corner drugstore. And with pc monitors there are already programs out that instead of using screen savers, slideshow through a list of whatever images a person has. And some have ported that to output such screen shows onto the big 2k x 1k HDTV's which we all use now. Of course when UHDTV's at 4k x 2k hit the market there will be more aps for that sort of thing and they will also do the same. At that point the resolution will be adequately do justice to resolution of compact digital and DSLR images so it will be more than a toy. Yet still not fit for large format.

However my ideas are not about those things. Something I actually posted on this board in the news sub-forum a year or three ago when 4k and 8k was in its infancy. For one thing if a photographer gives out digital images to consumers as a file to run even if supposedly just on the buyers machines, in this era it is hopelessly likely to be pirated. Of course that is why many of us post such puny images on boards like this or our online galleries. Producing, matting, framing, shipping, and transporting large prints is a can of worms. Exhibiting more than just a few likewise. Like consider the pain and cost of transporting dozens of 32x40 inch framed prints around just to exhibit. But with a modular portable panel of 4 each 5k x 3k digital in a 2x2 matrix of panels (effective 10k x 6k) something new that just a few that go to the big technology trade shows have yet got much a look at. Thus one could just have a real print or three plus a digital panels. But there is more though not something to kick around in this thread as is off subject though appropriate to mention in this thread as one new direction photography might go.

Drew Wiley

Well that's been tried many times in one form or another, and I doubt it would make much difference at this stage of the game
    whether it was simply a laptop or big high resolution screen if people are just picking subject matter. It could even be the stupid web. Only real prints show what real prints look like, if that is what someone is actually trying to sell. A car dealer might have some optional fabric samples or paint chips on hand, but he sure as hell better have a good selection of hands-on real cars in stock for people to look at or he'll be out of business in no time flat. Trade shows are a different subject. They don't give a damn. A couple days later and everything either goes to the dump or moves somewhere else. It doesn't impress anyone. If you want impact then you either visually hog a lot of space with real product or else make a lot of noise. I learned that a long time
    back. I'm obviously not presuming to write rules for anyone here, but do have enough track record with analogous things to
    know what gives bang for the buck, and what probably does not. Even a high-quality virtual image is just that, and more likely
    to say to people, just download and print it yourself, rather than purchase an original. Sure, you can't just show everything
    everywhere to everyone. Some sort of digital cataloging might be useful. I sure hasn't been for me, either in present form or
    back in the days when slide presentation with standard tools for art reps. People would rather see twelve real prints and select
    from them, instead of twelve thousand repros, at least at any price level I'm interested in batting at.

Drew Wiley

... Oh, and I have no problem framing, transporting, and installing any number of 30x40 prints. I even have a customized handtruck with a story pole and laser directly attached which could throw a level beam across a whole damn exhibit hall if it needed to. The complete hanging kit with all tools and fasteners is also on board. I do know how to do this kind of stuff! But
    trade shows are places where someone spends fifty grand to show off snow shovels and fluorescent bird seed, as far as I'm concerned. Hope I never have to go to another one in my life, let alone set up another one!

Yesterday afternoon I went out, my camera in tow, and found a huge maple whose lower branches were stretching out and barely touching the softly flowing water of the Pecatonica River. The light was perfect; my jaw dropped and my arms had goose bumps. Photography is not over...at least for me.

Rio Oso shooter

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wehman View Post
    Yesterday afternoon I went out, my camera in tow, and found a huge maple whose lower branches were stretching out and barely touching the softly flowing water of the Pecatonica River. The light was perfect; my jaw dropped and my arms had goose bumps. Photography is not over...at least for me.
    I am the same way. Somehow....I seem to leave behind just as much as I take away! Go figure!

R

Photography is over.
    And over,
    And over...

Like war is over...