Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Returning to USA from Canada??

  1. #1
    Bob Farr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    78

    Returning to USA from Canada??

    Hi,

    I'd like to take a road trip from WA state to BC Canada. What is the customs protocol for exposed LF film when re-entering the US??? Any suggestions??

    Thanks,
    Bob

  2. #2
    bob carnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario,
    Posts
    3,997

    Re: Returning to USA from Canada??

    No problem with that

    must have passport
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Farr View Post
    Hi,

    I'd like to take a road trip from WA state to BC Canada. What is the customs protocol for exposed LF film when re-entering the US??? Any suggestions??

    Thanks,
    Bob

  3. #3
    Bob Farr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    78

    Re: Returning to USA from Canada??

    Thanks Bob!!

    Got the passport, just want the film to be safe.

    Cheers,
    Bob

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,373

    Re: Returning to USA from Canada??

    If you're driving and have a current US passport (and you don't say something dumb to the officer) you will be very little troubled. They don't care about the film.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Rondo, Missouri
    Posts
    1,936

    Re: Returning to USA from Canada??

    I cross the border somewhat frequently and only once ever got subjected to the random search. I opened my trunk and the inspector said, "Wow. You carry a sh*tload of equipment, don't you?" The he told me I could go and to have a nice day.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

    If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,206

    Re: Returning to USA from Canada??

    I don't know why we were selected, but one time heading north with the family (including a then 3 year old) we got pulled into a secondary inspection line. The search was so thorough they opened a tackle box and looked inside the carboard boxes holding lures.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Westport Island, Maine
    Posts
    1,168

    Re: Returning to USA from Canada??

    I made several border crossings on my long trip, and the US border folks were ALWAYS courteous, friendly, and professional.

    I had trouble going into Canada each time, including having to pull over, park, and come inside to sit on a hard bench for 45 minutes until some guy in a bullet-proof vest came out and told me I could go. Weird.

    My experiences with all US Federal employees was equally wonderful. My favorite was the guy at the entrance to Red Rocks near Lost Wages, who, in conversation, stretched his arms and said "Yeah, another day at the office," while grinning from ear-to-ear.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

  8. #8
    bob carnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario,
    Posts
    3,997

    Re: Returning to USA from Canada??

    Funny Us Canadians find the Canadian Border Folks pretty friendly and always seem to find trouble with the US side.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barlow View Post
    I made several border crossings on my long trip, and the US border folks were ALWAYS courteous, friendly, and professional.

    I had trouble going into Canada each time, including having to pull over, park, and come inside to sit on a hard bench for 45 minutes until some guy in a bullet-proof vest came out and told me I could go. Weird.

    My experiences with all US Federal employees was equally wonderful. My favorite was the guy at the entrance to Red Rocks near Lost Wages, who, in conversation, stretched his arms and said "Yeah, another day at the office," while grinning from ear-to-ear.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Hamilton, Canada
    Posts
    1,378

    Re: Returning to USA from Canada??

    I have always found both sides to be friendly, except for the time when I was 18 coming back from a camping trip in Vermont. I was crossing into Montreal and the Canadian staff pulled my car over and pulled out everything including taking the back seat right out of the car. I was left to put it back together on my own, thank you very much; and the time I was with my wife and young kids coming back from Buffalo at Niagara falls. The female Canadian Border Guard seemed in a tiff and escalated into a rage as she crawled through the back seat in one door and out the other. We were all goggled eyed, my children are still traumatised 25 years later. I think she may have had a temporary hormonal disorder bordering on personality disorder.
    As long as you tell the truth, no bad.
    Bill
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    4,432

    Re: Returning to USA from Canada??

    Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Funny Us Canadians find the Canadian Border Folks pretty friendly and always seem to find trouble with the US side.
    I'm not Canadian but found the same thing once a long time ago. Seems like there was a toll to cross the border, say 50 cents. So we gave the person two Canadian quarters, and the were asked for 10% more due to the exchange rate. So we gave him a Canadian dime... and once again was asked for 10% more. So we gave him a Canadian penny. Fortunately he just gave us the stink-eye and told us go proceed.

Similar Threads

  1. Returning to LF
    By linkedit in forum Introductions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 26-Mar-2013, 19:03
  2. Hello, New to the LF and returning to film.
    By MrJim in forum Introductions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 19-Mar-2012, 12:21
  3. Returning to the fold!
    By Paul Clements in forum Introductions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 15-Jun-2011, 14:39
  4. Returning to the Scene of a Crime
    By Ron Bose in forum On Photography
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 28-Jul-2004, 19:16

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •