I have read several forums, several answers and still don't have a really solid sense of where to go with this question. Could someone who works in a professional capacity, who is extremely meticulous about focus, the quality of their images, the visibility of the image on the glass, alignment and so on please respond.

I have a linhof master technica (bought new two years ago) and I use lenses ranging from 90-210... for now. The groundglass that comes with the camera as some of you may know, is not suitable to composing an image because you can't see the entirety of it on the screen. I will be photographing in sub-freezing temperatures and possibly be keeping my camera in a hot car (so this is to address any issues people might see with the bosscreens.) I want brightness, but when I focus on the glass with a loupe, I will want to be able to see the subject crisply without disturbing fresnel lines.

Bob Solomon of HP Marketing was very kind to offer a lengthy thought out response which included using the Linhof fresnel on top of the GG. I fear that I will still get fresnel lines (also pricey.) Robert Maxwell told me a good bit about his screens, and the product seems enticing (are they milled to the precision that I require and are they really the BEST option?) The Bosscreen has worked nicely but has a major disadvantage to me in that it says "bromwell marketing" in the area that I will be composing. I find this terribly distracting and unfortunate. I also haven't had the chance to test it under the extreme conditions described above but want to avoid the potential for disaster on my outdoor shoot coming up in a week. I also want to say that Ted Bromwell is a very kind and honest businessman too.

Money is an issue, but I understand that often, you get what you pay for. So... please, what is the all around BEST solution?

I hope the responses will serve as definitive answers to future shooters seeking similar information.

Many thanks for your time.

-Serge

www.sergelevy.com