Thread: Hi all, new owner of a Linhof Master Technika (?) and I have some questions

Science photographer

Talking Hi all, new owner of a Linhof Master Technika (?) and I have some questions

I was very generously gifted a Linhof Master Technika, serial #55354

The camera is in good condition, albeit rather dusty. It has been in a basement for several years, possibly a decade.

Questions:

- Is it worth it to buy a replacement set of bellows and do it myself rather than paying to ship it back to Linhof? I can quite handy and have a workshop.

- If I am interested in getting the camera and the lenses (three of them) cleaned and inspected for fungus/scratches, would sending the camera back to Linhof be the best road to take? I would love to find someone who does this sort of thing in the USA, or even better, California/SF Bay Area!

- Is this camera actually a Master Technika? I couldn't find much info on the serial number

Thanks! I am very excited to start shooting with this beautiful camera

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2712.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	121341

Name:	IMG_2718.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	121342

Name:	IMG_2719.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	121343

Name:	IMG_2720.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	121344

Re: Hi all, new owner of a Linhof Master Technika (?) and I have some questions

Please post a picture of the camera, so we can help you identify the model.

Sorry, it is far from a Master Technika. That serial number is for a 1956 Technika III. The III was replaced by the IV and the V replaced the IV and the Master Technika replaced the V in 1972.

The IV, V and Master all use the same accessories, Len boards, ground glass, etc.. They also have forward lens board tilts which the III doesn't. Also, the factory has not had repair parts for a III for several decades.

Science photographer

I had a hunch... oh well! Thanks for your input.

Bob, what is your advice on repairing or replacing the bellows?

According to Bob, apparently Linhof bellows almost never have to be replaced. (See my recent angry thread, below, on the subject.)
    And to answer your question -- yes, you can do it yourself, but it is a messy, time-consuming procedure -- allow $400 to be done professionally. Any old-timer repairman should be able to do it all for you. Should be some of 'em left in California.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Richard Johnson

Hope you didn't buy it thinking it was an expensive Master Technika worth thousands when it is really an older (but still very usable) III that is valued less than $500.

Because the camera isn't worth much itself, it is hard to justify investing more than it's value into upgrades and repairs. And Linhof is no longer supplying replacements parts for a 60+ year old camera... but there are plenty of old "organ donor" cameras for parts if you really want to pay someone to do it. Think of it as an old Mercedes that's worth a couple of grand... can you really afford to repair it since the resale value never will appreciate all that much more!?

For the bellows perhaps a $130 Chinese made version from eBay, not as nice as the original but functional, can be installed by someone with reasonable craft skills and tool sense.

He said it was a gift. CLA the lenses (about $100/ea.) make it light tight (either patch or replace bellows). Spend about $350 to make a pretty good camera. I'd say it was worth it.

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

There is a small contingent of Tech III users here on LFF. I say you did great! Your camera is LIGHT YEARS nicer than mine, and I have been doing some fun things with my beater. Your camera has much, MUCH use left in it. Bellows? Just patch it up yourself. CLA on the lenses? I don't know if they really need them. They look pretty clean to me. If your shutter speeds are way off, then you might consider it.

Personally I'd say use it for a while and see what you think. You might find that it doesn't need that much after all.

Congrats!

The lack of a front tilt isn't all that important with the III, since you have the rear tilt on a Linhof.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    The lack of a front tilt isn't all that important with the III, since you have the rear tilt on a Linhof.
    Unless you do not want to change the shape of the subject. Then it does become important. If you shoot things that are buildings or things that should be round then you don't want to use back movements for Scheimflug. If you are shooting rocks and trees then you might want to use them. But if you want El Capitan or the Eiger to retain their shape then you don't use rear tilts.