Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 20x24 In Practice

Re: 20x24 In Practice

I shoot a much smaller format - 14x20. My darkroom is a tiny bathroom. However, developing my negatives with the Jobo system allows me to develop my negatives in there. I use the 3063 print drum and develop a sheet at a time. I bring this up because the 3063 drum takes up to 20x24 sheets. Developing a sheet at a time is slow but then it is ULF.

Monty,

Which Amergraph did you purchase? I have a NuArc 26-1K that I use.

Brian

Zebra

Sorry guys about the inbox. I've cleaned it up if you still wish to contact via pm.

Brian I bough the Amergraph ULF 28

Hope that is helpful.

Monty

the NuArc is an excellent unit but look at unblinking eye website for Sandy Kings review of the Amergraph in comparison in regards to light fall off at the edges. It was very helpful to me.

How do the users carry these beast around? Can anyone provide tripod info that will hold these and how are you carrying these with backpacks that will fit say the Ebony or Canham? I know of Ries tripods and their heads. Also since Ilford does a ULF run twice a year? I heard of S&S film holders but will they work on either camera maker listed above? I know of other film holder makers so I'm looking at multiple options. Any ideas will be helpful. Thanks

Zebra

Brian,

I use the biggest Reis tripod and and their biggest head. I had the head leathered to soften the weight of putting the camera down to minimize scratching. The nice thing about the Reis head is that it has a spring loaded screw so once you find the receptacle on the bottom of the camera it pops into place. This is a very nice feature needed when loading the camera up onto the tripod by yourself as I always do. Reis makes beautiful and excellent tripods and heads--that being said mine is often pushed to its limits as the Ebony came in around 55 pounds coupled with a 19 lb Dallmeyer 8D and heavy film holders/plate holders makes for a battle of wills at times. I'm guessing the Chamonix comes in lighter but you would have to check with Hugo or Tri Tran here on the Forum to find the direct answer to that. If the romance of a wooden tripod is not high on your list then you might check some of the professional video camera tripods. They have load capacities in the hundreds and would carry the load much easier. I wish at the very least I would have checked in on them ten years ago, but you live and learn.

If you buy a Chamonix I believe they make the holders too. Ebony at the time I had mine made did not and I had AWB make the holders FIRST and then sent them to Japan so that Hiromi at Ebony could make the back specifically to match exactly the holders I would be using. Ebony may be making holders now as I seem to remember reading on some formats he was doing just that. You might inquire. They are so incredibly nice to deal with.

Ilford makes its annual run ONCE a year, not twice.

As to carrying it around, well I don't think you will be. Its more like push it around. I use a heavy duty luggage cart that I've taken onto some trails that has done fairly well. Its not so much the weight as I've had heavy packs on my back in my past, but it is a bit unwieldy as it is a giant square on your back, of course when you throw in the film holders, lenses, loupes, darkcloth etc it really isn't a backpacking format--at least for me! I also use a Dodge Ram. 20 x 24 lends itself to Weston's (I believe it was Weston) comment that there isn't anything photogenic to shoot more than 100 yards from your car. I had a Strebor case specially made for my camera that was very well made, if not behind schedule. I'm not sure if he is still making photographic equipment at this point or not. Any of the major case makers will make you one on special order, of course their pricing will reflect just that.

As to the Darkcloth you might consider the weight of the material you will use. It is very large. If its too light it will blow everywhere. I had mine made white on the outside and of course black on the inside and it is quite heavy.

Monty

The Chamonix 20x24 weighs weighs 42.5 pound/19.3 kg

I can't say how heavy the holders are.

The weight of 4 or 5 ULF holders may not be lighter too much than the camera's.
    Sometimes love just ain't enough.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pierre506/sets/

Hello ,
    a double side 20x24 inch film holder made by AWB Is 5 kilos .

Very nice work, Monty!