Thread: Data base of depression era photographs

Data base of depression era photographs

I just found this searchable data base of photographs (1935-1945) housed at the Library of Congress. There is an interactive map to locate photographs and photographers from that time period.
    http://photogrammar.yale.edu/

Re: Data base of depression era photographs

Thanks for share this impotent link.

David Schaller

Thank you for posting. I love the geographical search of this collection.

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/fsa2000003816/PP/

The woman in this photograph is my grandmother. The photograph was taken by Dorothea Lange in August of 1939.

Arlington VA for real & West Milford NJ in my heart and head

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post

The woman in this photograph is my grandmother. The photograph was taken by Dorothea Lange in August of 1939.
    I hope she found a good life after her troubles
    Bob

There's mosquitoes on the river, fish are rising up like birds. It's been hot for seven weeks now, too hot to even speak now, did you hear what I just heard?

Tim Sandstrom

well, at least under linux/firefox.24.8.0, the map shows nothing but political lines and locations...

David Schaller

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post

Thank you for posting that fact. It must be very moving, on so many levels, to see that image. Since this thread posted the link, I have spent a lot of time looking at Marion Post Wolcott's photographs of the small, rural town where I grew up. I had never seen these images, although I've been aware of the FAS collection at the LOC for 35 years. I don't have such a close connection as you do with the people in the pictures, but I do have a very intimate relationship with the place. It's great to have the FSA collection organized this way, and to unearth or revisit so many of those priceless images.

My sister brought it to my attention just three days ago. She saw the picture in a book that our uncle had. He said to her, "Want to see a picture of Grandma in a book?" That was in 1992. Since then she has been looking for it. One site had the photographer listed as Arthur Rothstein but that has now been corrected. It was Dorothea Lange. The original nitrate negative is in the Library of Congress archives.

I'm particularly interested in WWI, the depression, and WWII. This makes it closer to home. They eventually moved to the puyallup valley area of Washington State and had a house on a hill where my sister and I visited on weekends. It was there that I layed on the big rug in the living room and read Life and Look magazines and marveled over the black and white pictures. The house is gone and a development replaced it. All that's left is our family photos and the picture in the archive.