Thread: Paul Strand Documentary

Paul Strand Documentary

I noticed in the most recent Kino Video catalogue that they have a 1990 documentary on Paul Strand, called "Strand: Under the Dark Cloth." The documentary was made by John Walker. Has anyone seen it? Is it worth getting? It is available on both VHS and DVD, in case anyone is interested.

Paul Strand Documentary

I have a VHS tape of it- it is very worthwhile. It includes video of Strand working in his garden in France at the end of his life which is very moving. It is a good overall summary of his life and work.

Paul Strand Documentary

I second the comments above. A great documentary which contains a lot of info in it. It is available on DVD. It also includes (on the dvd at least) Manhatta.

Paul Strand Documentary

I have the DVD, and it is superb. For some reason, there's no real (print) biography of Strand. This seems to get into the real grit of the man, but it's very helpful to have some knowledge of his history before screening it. It definitely makes me want to go out and make pictures!
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Paul Strand Documentary

I'll add my assent to the praise. After viewing the DVD many times, I made a

point of acquiring many of the books Strand worked on; the one about France,

the one about the Italian village, the one about the Hebrides. He had the knack

of working well with a variety of authors.

But my all time favorite is "Time In New England" - with selections of text from

Nancy Newhall. Unfortunately, I think this is out of print.... There is a wonderful

chapter about Strand in Robert Adams' "Why People Photograph", too.

Recently read Jack Delano's "Photographic Memories" (Delano did many of the FSA

photographs, particularly from Puerto Rico), and Delano makes clear his debt to

Strand, who used his influence behind the scenes to get Delano opportunities.

He had a lot of influence: Ansel Adams was wowed just viewing his negatives, and

when Walker Evans looked at the entire run of "Camera Work", the only picture he liked

was Strand's picture of the blind woman vendor in New York....

Paul Strand Documentary

"For some reason there is no real print biography of Strand."

True. However, I have a 300 page book entitled "Paul Strand: Essays on His Life and Work" that is very good and provides a lot of information. ISBN 0-89381-441-5. I don't know whether it's still in print, I got mine about eight years ago.

I can't believe people actually like "Strand: Under the Dark Cloth." I have it and I think it's the single most boring video about any photographer I've ever seen., maybe the most boring video period. I showed it to my Beginning Photography students a few years ago and most of them walked out of the classroom before it was half way through. I followed them. :-)
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.