Thread: Recessed Lensboard?

Recessed Lensboard?

I'm pretty new here so bare with me, but are recessed lens boards just for wide angle or can they be used for any lens?

Re: Recessed Lensboard?

Quote Originally Posted by 4x5fan View Post
    I'm pretty new here so bare with me, but are recessed lens boards just for wide angle or can they be used for any lens?
    Recessed boards are intended for wide lenses...but, any lens with the same bore will work. Recessed boards are not fun to use and should be the second choice when given the option. It's hard to see the lens settings and not all cable releases fit the recess. The camera configuration and focal length of the lens will help you with your options. Field camera 75mm or wider on 4x5 (recessed board); studio camera (rail) 75mm or wider bag bellows.............IMO.........

Recessed boards are sometimes used with normal lenses to enable a technical or field camera, such as a Linhof Technika, to be closed with the lens mounted.

In recent years Linhof has offered a special version of its recessed lensboard, IIRC called a "comfort board", which extends the controls and markings out to the front surface to make it easier to use. I'm sure Bob Salomon could tell you more. It's pretty expensive, though. I don't know of recessed boards for other cameras that offer this feature.

In general, though, flat boards are easier to use; recessed boards are for solving special problems.

Okay I was wondering because I'm searching for a 4x4 board with a 42mm diameter for a graphic view. All the ones I've come across are either 32" or the Linhof kind which I've heard won't fit. I was considering just getting a recessed, but wanted to be sure.

I think this would work, and if you like I can bore it out to 42mm. My question though is whether the shutter it's self will fit in the recess. I out of town for a few days, but can measure when I get home. Pm me if your interested and think this might work for you.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...sed-Lens-Board

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by DG 3313 View Post
    Recessed boards are intended for wide lenses...but, any lens with the same bore will work. Recessed boards are not fun to use and should be the second choice when given the option. It's hard to see the lens settings and not all cable releases fit the recess. The camera configuration and focal length of the lens will help you with your options. Field camera 75mm or wider on 4x5 (recessed board); studio camera (rail) 75mm or wider bag bellows.............IMO.........
    These are generalizations.

As Oren pointed out Linhof makes a recessed board called the "COMFORT" board. It comes with the aperture scales for all common, current lenses that would mount on this boar. The aperture scale is mounted into a recessed area on the flat, front top of the board and the aperture selector lever is also on this front, flat part of the board so the aperture is set and the scale is read from the front of the board.
    The press focus selector is also mounted to the front of the board so the aperture is also opened and closed from the front of the board.

This lens board is used for the 150mm and down.

And all Linhof recessed lens boards for the Technika 45 are equipped with a cable release quick socket assembly to eliminate having to screw the cable release into the shutter. These are on all of the recessed boards, 6mm, 12mm and 21mm recess.

If on ebay you type "c lensboard" you will find what you're looking for. A graphic size c board.
    James