Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: modern field camera w/long focus?

modern field camera w/long focus?

Do any of the modern (and inexpensive) field cameras like the tachihara, shen-hao, nagaoka, etc, have a focus in the range of 15-20 inches?

Thanks.
    -Darin

My (inexpencive) Shen Hao HZX-IIA has a 360mm (14 inches) max bellows extension. You can use a 360mm lens on infinity focus, but not for close-up purposes. I use a 300 mm APO Ronar as the longest lens on this camera.
    Best regards,
    Eirik Berger

I think the least expensive field camera with alot of extension is the Wisner 4X5s Traditional. It is just under $1600 so that is a fair bit mor than the cameras that you mentioned, but it has 23 inch (584mm) of extension. The Gandolfi Variant has 480mm of extension but it costs ~1000 GBP.

You might check the prices on used 2nd generation (non-Wista) Zone VI cameras. A lot of them were sold and they may be cheaper then used Deardorf's.

Darin,

In a word, no, at least for the models you've mentioned. Very, very few wooden 4x5 fields if any, except maybe the new pricey Layton, will have 20" of draw. The Ebony SV45Ti/Te/U will handle a 19" lens at infinity but just barely, but these are triple draw cameras and not inexpensive by any stretch. An 18" lens is about the maximum usable on the Ebony models above, the SV45U2 has a little more.

Being double draw instead of triple draw is one thing that keeps the bellows short and the price down on the cameras you mentioned.

Steve

Octogenarian

Hi Darin,

Another approach to obtaining an inexpensive long bellows camera is to use a 5x7 Tachihara or Shen Hao with a 4x5 reducing back. Jim, at Midwest Photo Exchange, sent me a 5x7 Tachihara with a 4x5 reducing back and an adapter lensboard so that I can use my lenses that are mounted in Linhof Tech type lensboards. It has enough bellows extension to use a Fuji 450C lens, mounted on a flat lensboard, for head and shoulders portraits. It's not a heavy camera, but it would be a bulky camera for backpacking. It can also be used it in the 5x7 format. I haven't had it out in the field yet, but from the trial runs here in the house, the camera outfit is a pleasure to operate.

They're not field cameras, but the older Calumet/Orbit/Kodak "coat hanger" monorails are long and lightweight - and not that bad a camera really. For $150 they're hard to beat. For $250 you can find a Linhof Super Color ST, which is the same idea only much, much nicer - again, only about eight pounds - only drawback being the long monorail.

Eugene, doesn't that limit you with lenses on the short side? I don't think using anything shorter than a 90mm would be possible.

Used Wisner Technical Field cameras sell for ~ $1000 and have 20+ inches of bellows draw.

You can use a Nikkor 500mm tele on a Shen-Hao; not much room to spare, but it's perfectly usable.

Regards,
    Danny www.dannyburk.com
    Visit www.dannyburk.com for fine photography galleries, drum scanning, instructional workshops and Photoshop tutorial, tips and more