Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are posts to funding pages allowed here?

Are posts to funding pages allowed here?

I've noticed that a few people have posted threads that link to certain kinds of funding pages like "go fund me".

My question is, are those kinds of Pages allowed here? I find the whole concept pretty rude and really outside of the purpose of this kind of forum in general, to be asking other people to pray for you so that you can have your own large format camera or get some film bought for you for free seems really rude to me and I'm top of that seems really out of character for the site itself which doesn't allow advertisers and things like that, it's essentially another form of asking for money.

I wanted to flag somebody's recent post about something because it really bugging me, but I wasn't exactly sure if it was something that should be even flagged because I don't know if it's allowed or not so that's why I'm asking.

Thanks.

Re: Are posts to funding pages allowed here?

There is a sub-forum for Kick-starter announcements. It has helped with a couple of very worth projects by sincere honest people looking for funding for photo related projects. Bill Schwab's project for the PhotoStck building and handheld 4x5 come to mind. What is your problem with them?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    There is a sub-forum for Kick-starter announcements. It has helped with a couple of very worth projects by sincere honest people looking for funding for photo related projects. Bill Schwab's project for the PhotoStck building and handheld 4x5 come to mind. What is your problem with them?
    It's not that kind that bother me, I even contributed to Bill Schwab's project.

I meant like "I want to own and shoot a 16x20 camera but I can't afford one or the film so can you give me money to buy the bellows and film? I'm looking to make babies with my new wife so I can't spend money on my camera like I want to so I need $3,500 please"

That's what bothers me.

Jeez where was that? I missed that one.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Kirk, in this post http://www.largeformatphotography.in...f8-Aerial-Lens the OP asks for funds to buy tools so that he can make a camera for himself.

I find the whole deal odd -- project poorly thought through, no budget, beggar not obviously capable of doing the work, no benefit to anyone but the beggar, and so on -- but I'm neutral about his telling us what he's up to and begging a little. I won't contribute, he's given no reasons why he should be my favorite charity. If this is what set StoneNYC off I sympathize a little but no one here is obligated to help fund the guy's fantasy camera. As they say, asking is cheap.

On the whole its best to let sleeping moderators lie.

What Dan referenced is in fact the post that set me off.

I've seen some clever ones like the guy who offered a nude calendar to those who funded a trip he was taking of him nude at all the places he was visiting.

At least that offers something. But to me, posting a link to something like "give me money cause I don't have enough and don't want to work for it" is a lot like posting advertising. And I thought advertisers weren't allowed here.

I don't know I feel kind of like that person who see's a kid misbehaving and the kid obviously needs a little sense knocked into him and I'm of the mind that "the village raises the child" and he should be told what he's doing wrong and hopefully that will help him behave better in the future.

I don't know, The post itself that he made asking for information was perfectly fine, but he used it as an avenue to also promote himself and his project and that's what bothers me.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I've noticed that a few people have posted threads that link to certain kinds of funding pages like "go fund me".

My question is, are those kinds of Pages allowed here?...I wasn't exactly sure if it was something that should be even flagged because I don't know if it's allowed or not so that's why I'm asking...
    Asking that question in a thread is, in my opinion, the wrong way to go about it. Either the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of each page or the black triangle-with-an-exclamation-point will get you to the moderators. Keeping them asleep (unaware) just perpetuates your consternation and invites all kinds of piling on.

...I don't know I feel kind of like that person who see's a kid misbehaving and the kid obviously needs a little sense knocked into him and I'm of the mind that "the village raises the child" and he should be told what he's doing wrong and hopefully that will help him behave better in the future...
    This village doesn't own the forum. Tuan, and his delegated moderators, make the kind of decisions you're asking for. I say notify and leave it up to them.

It's not that kind that bother me, I even contributed to Bill Schwab's project.

I meant like "I want to own and shoot a 16x20 camera but I can't afford one or the film so can you give me money to buy the bellows and film? I'm looking to make babies with my new wife so I can't spend money on my camera like I want to so I need $3,500 please"

That's what bothers me.
    Just enjoy your new 8x10 camera. I don't have either a wife (widowed) or kid (out of the nest for 20 years) and I can barely afford to feed my hobby. You seem to be doing very well with your new toy. Get to know it and use it, and try not to piss off your new wife with all this stuff or you will be an ex.

m
    Michael Cienfuegos

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cienfuegos View Post
    Just enjoy your new 8x10 camera. I don't have either a wife (widowed) or kid (out of the nest for 20 years) and I can barely afford to feed my hobby. You seem to be doing very well with your new toy. Get to know it and use it, and try not to piss off your new wife with all this stuff or you will be an ex.

m
    Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Asking that question in a thread is, in my opinion, the wrong way to go about it. Either the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of each page or the black triangle-with-an-exclamation-point will get you to the moderators. Keeping them asleep (unaware) just perpetuates your consternation and invites all kinds of piling on.

This village doesn't own the forum. Tuan, and his delegated moderators, make the kind of decisions you're asking for. I say notify and leave it up to them.
    I didn't specifically reference the thread as it wasn't the only one and I felt pointing directly to it wasn't appropriate but I'm wondering for the future if it's allowed or if it violates the rules?