Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Can we start a new digital/traditional troll subforum?

2 Bit Hack

Re: Can we start a new digital/traditional troll subforum?

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    They take up less space in the dining room.

Still, the powers that be consider it "huge" and "ugly," so I've been forced to buy a fitted cover.
    lol I don't have that problem anymore. The dinning and living areas are full of camera gear, guitars, and recording gear. There is little mystery why the darkroom is not done.
    Regards

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by Jmarmck View Post
    ...I am at the fork in the road.
    As Yogi Berry so wisely advised, "When You Come to a Fork in the Road, Take It!"

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Well, one thing about printing with the inkjet is that it’s quick, easy, and cheap. Just the other day while driving on the freeway it struck me that the now common practice of making gigantic inkjet prints – room size or even building size prints – originated with the competition between the “Giclée” printer and Little Sally.

Now Little Sally is a kid and like all kids she has to have to have a phone and that phone must have a camera of course. So the parents get a camera phone for their little Sally and Little Sally don’t waste no time, she is young and unlike the old farts here who think they know what “art” is, she is unaware and totally uninhibited. Yeah, she is both hip and ready-to-go.

So Little Sally goes out and gets some snaps and sends them wirelessly to the computer at home that the parents paid a whole hundred dollars for that can print color. No Photoshop needed – just choose the optimize function and press the start button and, lo and behold, out comes an impressive looking image from their little Sally that the parents can proudly display to their friends and neighbors!

But prints from the family printer is limited to 8x10 or 8x11.5” – Little Sally and the family can’t even imagine printing photo’s the size that the “Giclée” printer prints them. To them that’s truly miraculous and the “Giclée” printer knows that – that’s where he has them and that’s why he prints in the size gargantuan.

And they are cheap. What do you do with a, say, 30x30 foot Giclée from a show that doesn’t sell? You simply toss it in the dumpster (or burn/shred it if you’re concerned about someone finding it) because you have the program that created it saved on some hard drive somewhere and all you have to do to create another identical print is to retrieve that program from is location, insert another sheet of paper in the printer and press START. That’s it! No need to incur the expense to find the space to house them in archival boxes when you can print out a brand new and identical print in less time that it would take you to retrieve a stored version for far less than the cost of preserving the original!

Yeah, Giclée is quick, easy, and cheap.

Thomas

my point for this thread exactly........
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Purpose served, I believe.