Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from N. California - any other banquet cameras out there?

SB Mike

Cool Hello from N. California - any other banquet cameras out there?

Happy to be plugged into this forum. Been shooting 12x20 for some long time after buying this monster on a whim in a NY shop window 20 years ago. Probably on my last two boxes of film, now that the price is 16 bucks a shot and getting hard to get. Do like the contact printing though. Long time shooting in France and now landscapes in Marin County. Exploring other LF formats to see what may keep me at least partially in film.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: Hello from N. California - any other banquet cameras out there?

As a ULF shooter I would suggest 14 x 17. It is a wonderful format and I do love my carbon transfer contact prints in this format. I have quite a bit of film in this format and you can shoot x-ray film! Another size in ULF would be 11x14, x-ray film in this size as well. I also shoot 8x20 and I feel your pain when it comes to film. Stuck with the once a year Ilford run or I could cut down 14x36 x-ray film but I have not had to do so yet. As far as 14 x 17 goes the holders are what will set you back. I build cameras and they are not that hard to do really. BTW, welcome!

Welcome! Many folks shooting these Ultra Large Format cameras are using x-ray film with great results. I just saw some 24"x30" (cut for two 12x20) Green sensitive x-ray for $44.00 for a box of 100. Even with the waste, you have 12x20 film for 22 cents a sheet!

Of course it gets more complicated than that and there are advantages and disadvantages, but there is a good thread of images taken with x-ray film:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...-on-X-ray-film

Lots of help available with types and ISO and developing. I have used it just a little (8x10, 7x17). The ABC Boys: Three 8x10 platinum prints -- taken on x-ray film and processed at the hospital for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alex, 8x10P.jpg   Bryce, 8x10P.jpg   Calder, 8x10P.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Very cool! 12x20!

Great place Marin Co is for such big panos. Would love to see your work some time.

Drew Wiley

There was a fellow over here across the Bay who used 12x20 year after year strictly on Mt Diablo. Was a good workout for his knees, that's for sure. But you'll
    never run out of subject matter in Marin. I've been shooting various view cameras in Marin for decades and am still discovering new things. But during cooler weather
    I do a lot of shooting inland too.

SB Mike

Thanks for the welcome and the advice on x-ray film.. I will be checking that idea out. For a while I was using Ilfachrome directly in the camera. Getting a reversed image, but the colors were nice. Many landscapes don't matter. The big problem was getting the right exposure. I now have lost my notes on the ISO equivalents, but it was very slow. I will try to post some images at some point.

SB Mike

Thanks for the welcome and the advice on x-ray film.. I will be checking that idea out. For a while I was using Ilfachrome directly in the camera. Getting a reversed image, but the colors were nice. Many landscapes don't matter. The big problem was getting the right exposure. I now have lost my notes on the ISO equivalents, but it was very slow. I will try to post some images at some point.

SF Bay Area 94303

Could you dip the film in some sort of panchromatic dyes and make it sensitive to red and blue???

Hello from N. California - any other banquet cameras out there?

Welcome. I'm in SF but go out to Marin to shoot quite frequently. Mostly 4x5 and 8x10 but I've got a new old monorail 14x17 that I'm itching to take out especially if someone lends a hand. Won't have my home darkroom ready for film loading for a few more weeks though.

Welcome from Baja Yosemite (Fresno)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White