Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Are Your Best B&W Inkjets Worth More Than Your Best B&W Wet Prints?

Re: Are Your Best B&W Inkjets Worth More Than Your Best B&W Wet Prints?

Tyler.. are you the maker of the pt pd as well... that could make a huge difference as there are a lot of lousy printers out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Boley View Post
    I have inkjets that, with great effort, look better than the platinum prints of the same negatives. But this puts us back in the contentious and nonsensical darkroom vs digital conversation. This thread attempted to deal with perceived marketplace value differences. Perhaps all roads lead back to turf protection, human nature

Yes I made them, I've made crappy platinum too, and some good ones. Your question suggests you doubt this assertion? My experience is that given excellent work, each of these process can excel on their own merits. But still, few have seen great inkjets, and few think there is a process there requiring as big a commitment as the other processes. So it's still, after 15 years, an uphill battle against uninformed dogmas. You still see assertions that the computer made it, that all you do is hit "print" out of Lightroom (an application incapable of getting where I need to go for my best prints), etc etc.. Here I am again saying this stuff, off topic of the thread. What bugs me the most amongst photographers is that artists are supposed to have creative minds and open the the real experience of a work, without preconceptions. Photographers in particular should be able to SEE and let in what is in front of them. I remember long ago at a Friends of Photography workshop a famous and accomplished photographer ranted at length to me about how much they disliked platinum prints, and there unacceptable shortcomings. I didn't take much note of what else he had to offer, he can't see. Also, the community surrounding the artists, gallery owners, curators, educators (!), etc etc, are way behind and perpetuating these uninformed dogmas.

Anyone interested in any of this stuff about B&W (off the value topic) might find our site interesting, unfortunately it's way out of date, we're all so busy-
    http://theagnosticprint.org/
    Lot's of ponder about craft and art, a very talented group I was fortunate enough to meet and get to know.
    I don't know what more to add about value, I was just advised I'd sell more if I raised my prices.

...Here I am again saying this stuff, off topic of the thread...
    Not off topic at all.

...You still see assertions that the computer made it, that all you do is hit "print"...
    That is the topic of this thread. Disguised as a "question."

No not my thought whatsoever, my question is if the same worker made two different prints to the best of their ability's, then compared and liked one over the other then your experience that the ink print was better would be ok for me.
    But if you are making a print on ink that someone else made on pt pd then there could be huge differences in quality expectations... I get this happening all the time in my career where people bring in existing prints to match and I reject the job because I do not want to make a crappy print.
    I am at a point in my printmaking where I feel I can make pt pd as nice as my silvers, also I feel my inkjets are as good as well as my RA4 prints ....But I cannot say the same for carbon prints, even though I can make them I do not feel that I have worked on Carbons enough to say they are as good as my other medias I work with. In fact I have decided not to go down the Carbon Transfer wormhole as it does not fit into my game plan.

Yes I made them, I've made crappy platinum too, and some good ones. Your question suggests you doubt this assertion? My experience is that given excellent work, each of these process can excel on their own merits. But still, few have seen great inkjets, and few think there is a process there requiring as big a commitment as the other processes. So it's still, after 15 years, an uphill battle against uninformed dogmas. You still see assertions that the computer made it, that all you do is hit "print" out of Lightroom (an application incapable of getting where I need to go for my best prints), etc etc.. Here I am again saying this stuff, off topic of the thread. What bugs me the most amongst photographers is that artists are supposed to have creative minds and open the the real experience of a work, without preconceptions. Photographers in particular should be able to SEE and let in what is in front of them. I remember long ago at a Friends of Photography workshop a famous and accomplished photographer ranted at length to me about how much they disliked platinum prints, and there unacceptable shortcomings. I didn't take much note of what else he had to offer, he can't see. Also, the community surrounding the artists, gallery owners, curators, educators (!), etc etc, are way behind and perpetuating these uninformed dogmas.

Anyone interested in any of this stuff about B&W (off the value topic) might find our site interesting, unfortunately it's way out of date, we're all so busy-
    http://theagnosticprint.org/
    Lot's of ponder about craft and art, a very talented group I was fortunate enough to meet and get to know.
    I don't know what more to add about value, I was just advised I'd sell more if I raised my prices.

yes exactly. I could also be said a printmaker has a certain affinity for a given process and not another, they learn to gravitate toward the sweet spots of each, therefore one print "better" than another regardless of process. I know that's true of me.. It also may be image dependent.

Yes , I love photogravure four colour , and I actually think I would be pretty good at it... At some point I will purchase a Conrad etching press... I can make my own separations and plates so I feel that it would be a process that I would love try my hand at.

I have been surprised lately with the pt pd's we have been making here from all source capture... Every thing seems to work ,, which totally was unexpected... I am doing a show of tri colour over pt pd for next year Contact photofestival. Images are from eye phone capture..
    yes exactly. I could also be said a printmaker has a certain affinity for a given process and not another, they learn to gravitate toward the sweet spots of each, therefore one print "better" than another regardless of process. I know that's true of me.. It also may be image dependent.