Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Request clarification of large format.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Request clarification of large format.

I am not entirely clear as to what constitutes "large format" photography for this group. The forum usage guidelines state that for the purposes of this forum "large format" is defined as being essentially 4x5, or larger, sheet film.

BUT

"We do, however, allow what would otherwise be considered "medium format" sizes, IF exposed in a view camera (e.g. with a roll-film adapter), technical, or old-style press camera (e.g. the various Graphic cameras)."

Question, is a medium format digital back used on a technical or press camera considered "large format" for this forum? And if so, how is "medium format" defined? By the actual size of the sensor, or by the size of the image file created?

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Re: Request clarification of large format.

As discussed many times before -- LF here is defined more by the camera than it is by film size and type. If the camera is a view camera, then the resulting image is LF...with some some other cameras "grandfathered in" such a press cameras and P&S cameras using sheet film...and some smaller than 4x5 formats when used in view cameras.

So, I believe the answer to the first question would be 'Yes". The answer to the second question is "Who cares? If it is not on a LF camera, it does not create a LF image."
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Sandy, I assume you wants an opinion from the moderators?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Sandy, I assume you wants an opinion from the moderators?
    Correct, I am not advocating any position but would like a clarification as to guidelines from the moderators.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io

"Large Format" is a state of mind, not a film size.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    "Large Format" is a state of mind, not a film size.
    Agree completely though that is damn hard to moderate
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Wingnut/GearJammer/IBEWRetired Racer X 69's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Question, is a medium format digital back used on a technical or press camera considered "large format" for this forum? And if so, how is "medium format" defined? By the actual size of the sensor, or by the size of the image file created?

Sandy
    Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Vinny made this suggestion in post number 6, and only one member (DennisD) has referenced it in all 125 posts that have constituted this discussion thus far.

So I trotted on over to the FAQ page and right there, at the top of that page is the following:

The purpose of the forum is to provide a place for discussion of topics of particular interest to large format photographers. We especially encourage questions which will help build a repository of knowledge about the tools and techniques of large format photography, as opposed to "shopping" questions. For the purposes of this forum, we define "large format" as being essentially 4x5, or larger, sheet film. We do, however, allow what would otherwise be considered "medium format" sizes, IF exposed in a view camera (e.g. with a roll-film adapter), technical, or old-style press camera (e.g. the various Graphic cameras).
    And as I observed, Dennis has read the guidelines and pointed out quite well how they apply here.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisD View Post
    The guidelines clearly associate "Large Format" with sheet film or, in the case of "medium format", roll film. There is no mention of digital technology and for that reason it would appear that digital image capture is not included within the realm of "large format" as far as this forum is concerned.
    And just as I did, he observed that the guidelines are clear.

Digital image capture using LF equipment is not considered "Large Format" at this discussion group. Although I would like to see it included, it is not by the rules, and I am OK with that. I don't make the rules here, I am only expected to know and abide by them.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisD View Post
    If medium format digital capture (on whatever qualifies as a view camera) is accepted, do we need to define a size standard for a medium format sensor ?
    There has been considerable divergence of discussion from the initial question, and in part of that discussion about the digital scanning backs available for LF cameras was mentioned and briefly discussed. Actually the rules seem to have not kept pace with the growth of the forum, as there is an area of discussion in the LF section here: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...gital-Hardware

Anyway, for me at least, the rules are quite clear. If anything they might need some tweaking to more closely reflect the growth of the forum since they were put in place.

Or the discussion areas in the LF section that don't actually fit the rules may need to be placed in a different (possibly new) section.
    Whiskey Is Sunlight Held Together By Water

Interesting how people interpret a set of facts in different ways. I looked at the same set of facts as others and came to the conclusion that the rules are not clear.

On the one hand, you have a FAQ which does not mention digital of any kind, which could lead one to believe that digital is not within the rules . . .

But on the other hand there are forum groups that treat both digital hardware, and digital processing . . .

I see this an inconsistency that needs clarification. It is impossible for a community to abide by the rules if the rules themselves are not mostly clear to all.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Interesting how people interpret a set of facts in different ways. I looked at the same set of facts as others and came to the conclusion that the rules are not clear.

On the one hand, you have a FAQ which does not mention digital of any kind, which could lead one to believe that digital is not within the rules . . .

But on the other hand there are forum groups that treat both digital hardware, and digital processing . . .

I see this an inconsistency that needs clarification. It is impossible for a community to abide by the rules if the rules themselves are not mostly clear to all.

Sandy
    I agree, I also see the sentence about using roll film "and other type backs" on view cameras, as the "loophole" that allows for digital.

So I guess my interpretation is different also.